34. Unlikely Explaination

Once Loki and the others left, Cora went back to the library. She picked out the same books she had gotten earlier, but she could only bring herself to read the How to Control Fear and other Things book. As she gets to the Eighth chapter, which focuses on clearing the mind, an envelope falls from the beginning of the chapter and slides onto the table front facing down.

Cora examines the envelope and inhales a curious breath as she reads the name inscribed on the front of the envelope.

"Adamaris?" Cora questions as she flips the envelope over and opens it. Pulling two thick pieces of paper out of the envelope, Cora see's that she is holding a letter. Cora's eyes begin to sting with tears as she mentally reads the letter.

'Adamaris,
I've tried to write this letter a thousand times. But, I can never seem to get the right words out. I'm writing this on the one year anniversary of your birth. And, if you are somehow reading this, then I've done exactly as I had promised myself. Either you have come home to Asgard, or wherever it is you were sent off to, this letter has found you. I need you to know, this was never how I intended things to go for any of us. Shortly after your birth and you were forcefully taken away from me, I tried to plead with Odin- your grandfather- to release me from the dungeon and let me try to find and take care of you. But, he would not have it. He's left me to rot in this dungeon cell for the last year.'

"You were locked away for a whole year? What kind of person does that to their own son?" Cora asks herself in a whispered tone, as she continues reading, the tears that sting her eyes fall and roll down her cheeks.

'Please know, that when I am able to get free from this infernal cell, I will do everything in my power to find you. But, for now you have a piece of me with you. The amulet, that I sent with you will keep you safe. It will also help you to understand where it is you came from. Just know, that I can sense that you are somewhat safe. We are connected in a way that is not normal to most people. I can sense your fear and pain, just as I suspect you can sense mine. The night you were born and ultimately banished, I could feel how scared you were. Not knowing what was going on, or where you were going, it was hard for me to watch as you were taken away. Within the year you have been gone, there has not been a day where I have not worried about you. Odin has said if I stop with the nonsense and just forget about you, then he will release me.'

"Well, you certainly did something in order to get out of the dungeon." Cora whispers to herself as the tears roll down her face and she finishes reading the letter.

But, I can not bring myself to do that. Forgetting you is the worst thing I could ever do. Just know, that if I am ever released from the dungeon, I will do everything in my power to find you. I care for you deeply and want nothing more than to know that you are safe and well cared for. Your father ~ Loki.'

"Well, that's not what I was expecting." Cora says to herself as she folds up the letter and puts it back in the envelope, she then places the picture of her mother in the envelope, and folds the envelope flap into the envelope to close it. She dabs her eyes with the sleeve of her dress. As she looks up from the envelope, she see's Queen Frigga enter the library.

"I must tell you. Thor has asked me to keep a sharp eye on you. So, when you did leave the castle earlier, I went to him and told him you had left. I have orders from Thor, but I am under strict orders from Odin and your father to make sure you stay safe while you are here." Queen Frigga says as she walks up to the table and stands in front of the chair across from Cora.

"Did those orders happen before or after the battle that nearly killed me?" Cora asks as she keeps her gaze on the table once Queen Frigga sits down.

"I watched over all of you once you had all arrived, but after you had awoken from the attack that nearly ended your life, I was given the orders to keep a much closer eye on you." Queen Frigga says as she sets her hands on the table.