40. Rescue Mission

As Cora, Peter, Natasha, and the other recruits land on the Bifrost landing pad in the front yard of Avengers headquarters, Star Lord and his band of guardians, along with a few other Avengers all make their way to the landing pad as the bright light disappears.

"Everyone relax, it's only Cora and the other kids. Wait, Cora?" Peter Quill, otherwise known as Star Lord says in shock. Cora side eyes Star Lord and shakes her head.

"Has he not been brought up to speed on everything, or is he just giftedly dumb?" Cora asks as she looks around at all of the Avengers that stand in front of her.

"Yes, he has been. He is also a bit dumb." Gamora says as she walks up and hugs Cora, Cora hugs her back.

"Hey, I'm standing right here." Star Lord says with fake offense coating his voice.

"Buck, Star Lord, mind helping me escort these four to the holding cells?" Natasha asks, as she points out the four that tried to kill Cora earlier.

"Why are they being detained?" Bucky asks, Cora looks at the four rouge recruits before answering Becky's question.

"They went rogue and attempted to kill me, again." Cora says, and everyone's eyes go wide as they hear the last bit.

"Attempting to kill royalty, that is cause for a mass trial and possible executions." T'Challa or as most know him as Black Panther says as he comes up to Cora. Cora crosses her right arm over her left arm on her chest and then lowers her arms. T'Challa does the same thing and smiles at her.

"Wakanda forever." Cora says, T'Challa's smile grows bigger as he nods to Cora.

"Where's Thor?" Rocket the raccoon asks, Cora shoots him a death glare, and Peter slowly rubs Cora's arm to keep her calm.

"He stayed where he needed to stay, with all things considered." Cora says crossing her arms as she looks at everyone around her.

"Big macho man got beat by a girl, now that is funny." Drax belts out, and laughs at the end. Just as Drax finishes laughing, a single bolt of lightning comes down from the sky and strikes Drax head on. The strike being powerful enough to knock Drax a couple hundred feet away from the group and off his own feet.

"He is going to pay for that, when I get back up there." Cora says, as she scans the windows to see if the person she is searching for is watching the commotion take place.

"I am Groot." Groot says, everyone turns to him with questioning faces, Cora and Rocket exchange a look with each other, and shake their heads.

"You know, I'd tell you to watch your language, with that phrase. But, I'll allow it." Rocket says, Groot just looks at Rocket and gives a big grin.

"Ah, we thought that was you, Cora. I know why your back so soon, come with me." Agent Hill says, Cora looks over her shoulder at Peter, Andre, and Olivia. All three of them nod as they keep pace with Cora as she begins to make her way inside headquarters. As agent Hill, Cora and the other three recruits make there way through the training room to the elevator, a short, long dark haired little girl comes running up to Cora.

"Cora! Your back!" The little girl squeals as she runs to Cora. Cora scoops her up in her arms and gives her a big hug.

"Holy crap, Morgan! It's only been two weeks and you look like you grew a whole foot while I was gone." Cora says as she keeps Morgan in her arms. Pepper comes out of a side office and looks at Morgan.

"Morgan, what did I say about rushing at the recruits? If they are on guard and waiting on an attack, you could get seriously injured." Pepper says as she takes Morgan from Cora. Cora smiles at Pepper and messes up Morgans hair as she walks past them and on to the elevator. The elevator ride up to the second floor is silent and a little tense.