37. Unhinged

As it came to being two weeks since Thor had brought the children to Asgard, he still seemed to not know how to properly treat Cora. After he reprimanded her for the unthinkable alternate reality she had him endure, she had closed herself off completely. Staying far away from him, and those that only wanted to help her understand her place amongst them, including Loki. Anytime Loki would try to come around, she would teleport herself away either to her room or to the library. It wasn't until the night before her birthday that she finally stood up for herself and actually confronted Thor.

"Hey, Cora. I know you said not to bother you unless it's an emergency, but Thor wants to see you in the throne room." Peter says after he knocks two times on her door. After waiting a few minutes, Peter takes a chance at possibly being thrown out of her room, he opens Cora's door, steps inside, and closes the door behind him. As he enters, he see's Cora sitting with her knees up in the large windowsill. Her head is tilted toward the window, indicating she may be asleep.

Peter walks up to Cora and tries not to step on the long gold and white train of her dress that drapes onto the floor. He lightly places his hand on her shoulder, she turns her head to him and he backs up as he see's her eyes are blood red.

"They've been like this ever since..." Cora begins to say but trails off, Peter sits on the other end of the windowsill and takes Cora's hand.

"Ever since Thor punished and embarrassed you for that alternate reality you put him in?" Peter guesses, Cora keeps her eyes down but nods. Peter gets off the windowsill and sits on the edge of the windowsill next to Cora, then wraps his arms around her, hugging her.

"I can't face them like this. Even if I am to see Thor, all of the others -not including the other recruits- will be there as well. This shows that I'm unstable, unhinged, and about to lose control. I can't risk losing control, that's why I've stayed away from everyone for the last two weeks." Cora says as she buries her head in Peter's shoulder.

"Believe me, I wanted to leave you alone, but Thor thought I'd be the easiest one to get you to come out of your room." Peter admits, Cora shakes her head against Peter's shoulder and wraps her arms around Peter's neck, returning the hug he had been giving her. A knock on Cora's door makes her and Peter look toward the door.

"Peter what is taking so long? You were supposed to get her out of her room and to the throne room." Loki asks after he knocks on the door.

"Just stay close to me and keep your head down." Peter instructs, Cora nods and they both get up from the windowsill. Walking to the door, Peter opens it, a puzzled look comes over Loki's face as Cora keeps her head down and walks out of her room. Peter silently walks close to her and Loki follows behind them.

"Are you alright?" Loki mentally asks Cora, continuing to walk down the hall, Cora doesn't answer, she keeps her head down and her long raven hair covers her eyes. Loki narrows his eyes and does the one thing he swore to himself that he wouldn't do. He grabs Cora by her arms, pulls her into a corridor, and pins her up against the wall.

"Loki, leave her alone." Peter says as he gets in the corridor and tries to pry Loki's hands off Cora. Loki looks at Peter and flicks two fingers in the air, which sends Peter flying down the corridor. Lightly peeking out from her hair to give Peter a worried look, Cora tries to get loose from Loki's grip, but he only holds her tighter against the wall. Just as Loki looks back at Cora, she looks back to the floor.

"I asked you a question, and I expect an answer." Loki says sternly, Cora keeps quiet and continues to look at the floor.

"Look at me, when I'm talking to you." Loki says and puts his hand under Cora's chin and pulls it up so she has to look at him. Cora keeps her eyes closed and shakes her head.