8. Explanation

"All Avenger recruits, curfew has begun." Natasha's voice comes over the intercom to announce, two hours after Thor and Cora spoke.

Cora turns in the direction of the compound and proceeds to go inside. As she makes her way in, she see's Peter get up from a spot near the windows. The other recruits pile into the elevator and don't wait for Cora or Peter, they simply let the door close and ride the elevator to the third floor.

"Guess we're taking the stairs." Peter says and walks to the door that leads to the stairwell. As Cora approaches the door, Peter opens it and let's Cora go through the door first.

"Crazy day, huh?" Peter asks, as he and Cora begin to climb the stairs to the third floor. Cora doesn't say anything, she just shrugs her shoulders.

"How's your lip?" Peter asks, Cora touches her now swollen and slightly pulsating lip.

"It'll heal." Cora says, as she and Peter round the corner to the second floor.

"Once Ruby, threw you across the room that first time, I ran to get Fury. Guess I was too slow, since she ended up throwing you into the elevator." Peter says and hangs his head.

"You did what you thought was right. No one else would have gone and gotten one of the leaders." Cora stops and says.

"I just don't see why they all feel your a threat." Peter says and leans on the wall.

"It's a complicated story." Cora says eyeing the rest of the way to the third floor.

"I think I can keep up." Peter says with a chuckle.

Cora looks at Peter with wonder in her eyes. She stands in the stairwell for a moment, contemplating whether or not to tell Peter the reason as to why the recruits despise her.

"Six months ago, I was on a mission with the other recruits. I hadn't had any sort of proper training on how to use any of my powers. I was put in the field blind, not knowing what to do. I had a chance to save the team from disaster and froze, when I tried to concentrate on using just one power, more came through and they wouldn't stop. I jeopardize everyone's safety. And after that failed mission, I was put on control room duty." Cora says, and keeps her eyes locked on her shoes as she explains why none of the recruits like her.

"All because of one failed mission? That's why they treat you the way they do?" Peter asks skeptically.

"That mission was the final straw. I had three previous missions that I had screwed up on pretty badly before the last one that got me kicked off the team indefinitely." Cora admits still looking down at her shoes.

"At least Thor is giving you a chance to redeem yourself. I know he gave you a choice as to whether or not you wanted to go." Peter says, looking toward the stairs to the third floor.

"How did you know about him giving me a choice?" Cora says looking up at Peter.

"Spidey hearing, remember? My senses are heightened." Peter says as he looks at Cora. Inhaling deeply, Cora closes her eyes and tries to keep calm.

"Right. Should have remembered that, since I've read your file." Cora says opening her eyes, then looks to Peter.

"Just think about going tomorrow. It'll be good for you, and it'll give you points to be put back on the team once we return to Earth after the month is over." Peter says and turns toward the stairs and begins to walk to the third floor. Cora stays on the second floor landing, and just watches as Peter walks up the stairs.

Peter turns back and looks at Cora as she stays on the second floor landing. He gestures toward the door, and Cora slowly makes her way up the stairs to the door. Peter opens the door and as he opens the door to let Cora go first, Natasha appears in the doors opening.