47. Offer of A Lifetime

Everyone had moved from the great hall and to the throne room after Mobius had told Cora he had a job for her. Loki, looking terrified between Cora and Mobius was the first one to voice his stance on the matter.

"Absolutely not. Mobius, she is just a child, one that quite frankly is still figuring out her powers. And two, work with the TVA is not for the faint of heart, I'll do it instead of her." Loki says, and everyone gives Loki confused looks.

"Loki, my friend. I admire your vigilance and prospective on the situation, but all of the variants we have to reign in know all to well about you. We need someone who can disguise themselves for any situation, and someone who the variants don't know about. And she is our perfect candidate." Mobius says as he points to Cora, who sits on Odin's throne.

"You said you'd come back for me, when it was time, and this is it?" Cora asks as she looks down at Mobius.

"Yes, with how many variants we have to catch, we'll need an answer immediately." Mobius says as he turns to Cora.

"You've gone to her previously, when?" Caitriona quietly asks as she keeps her eyes on Cora.

"When she was around Twelve or Thirteen. We made ourselves known to her, and explained to her, that she wasn't allowed to tell anyone of our existence, and that when the time came, as to when we would need her, then we would come for her. And now is that time." Mobius states, everyone looks from Mobius, then to Loki, and finally to Cora. Cora gets off of the throne and descends the stairs, then stands in front of Loki.

"I won't let you go." Loki says as he looks at Cora. Cora rolls her eyes and lightly shakes her head.

"I don't think you have a choice, in the matter." Cora says as she looks around the room at those that listen to what is being said. Her mothers eyes fall to the floor and Cora moves from in front of Loki and stands in front of her mother.

"I have barely begun to understand and get to know you, and you want to leave without a second thought." Caitriona says, Cora inhales then exhales and takes hold of her mothers hands.

"I understand that this is hard to accept, but this needs to happen. This is my chance to prove not only to myself, but to everyone else that I can do something good and be someone that can handle these kinds of situations." Cora says as she looks between her mother and father. Loki comes over and places an arm around Cora's shoulders and side hugs her.

"You certainly have proven yourself, more times than necessary. With you already making a deal with Mobius, it looks as though it is time to make good on that deal." Loki says as he looks from Cora and to Mobius.

"How long is this job to last?" Cora asks as she turns to Mobius, Mobius steps up, rubs his forehead, then looks at Cora.

"Maximum time for the job, is one year. Could be less time, depending on how long it takes to deal with all of the variants." Mobius says, and everyone starts to talk over one another as to how unethical the time frame for the job is.

"That is an outrage." Thor says as he walks up to everyone.

"Cora, you can't seriously be thinking about doing this." Peter says as he comes and stands next to her.

"Everyone quiet, this is Cora's choice." Natasha can be heard trying to say. Cora rolls her eyes, and shakes her head.

"QUIET!" Cora screams, which makes the throne room shake a bit. Everyone goes silent and looks at Cora.

"Look, I know everyone has their opinions on this matter. But, the only one that matters is my own. I made this deal when I was twelve and a half, and now it's time to make good on it. A year will fly by, and before anyone knows it, I will be back." Cora says as she lets go of her mothers hands, shifts into her black battle suit, and stands near Mobius.

Mobius opens a long square shaped portal and gestures for Cora to go first. Peter runs up to her, and drops to his knees.

"Cora, please, don't go." Peter begs with tears in his eyes. Giving a small smile, Cora shakes her head.

"I'm sorry, Peter. But, I have to." Cora says as she steps through the portal. Mobius looks at Loki and holds his hand out. Loki takes his hand and shakes it.

"One year, that is my promise. I will also do everything in my power to keep her safe." Mobius says, Loki nods as he begins to feel tears sting his eyes.

"Make sure she sleeps enough, with how grueling the hours are for the job that lies ahead, she is going to need all the rest she can get." Loki manages to say, Mobius nods his head, lets go of Loki's hand and walks through the portal. Cora waves to everyone one last time before the portal closes.