Chapter Twenty-Three: A Loyal Bunch

Aryan

Samara gradually disappeared down the path, and until she was out of my sight, I didn't move an inch.

I half-frowned as I thought about her going alone to a fairy village. She'll probably be fine. Hell, I should be worried about the fairies.

I shook off this strange feeling only to be hit by a new one. I've definitely been conned, right? I grimaced, moving towards the Jauni village. There's no logical reason that I'm here still helping her out. But... I thought about the way Samara got dizzy after coming back from the visions. I thought about her bedhead look, and dirty appearance. I thought about the sincerity in her eyes as she genuinely told me to leave her...

I shook my head. Well, whatever. It's not like it's going to be hard. I'll just get the kid and get out. Heh, I'll probably beat her back to the ravine. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I walked through the Jauni village, two things hit me. One, I had literally no idea what this Ethan kid looked like. Why didn't I ask follow up questions? And two, every goat here looked at me with a suspicion that was less than welcoming. Well, this is going to be just delightful, isn't it?

I tried not to glare as one Janus eyed me from across the way. Huffing under my breath, I turned and walked until I was near a fruit stand. My eyes were drawn to these flowers that were wrapped around the poles of the stand. They were bell-shaped and the petals were violet. The inside of the petals had these randomly shaped dark purple dots that were outlined in thick white. I couldn't help but smile at them. Samara would probably be in love with these... My brows pulled together, bothered. Why the hell am I even thinking about that? What is wrong with me? Just get the stupid kid and go! The faster this day is over, the better.

Now irritated with myself for getting caught up in a useless thought, I looked at the woman at the stand. She was old with white hair standing up at all ends. Her horns were long and curled as they poked through her sun hat. She was missing some teeth but didn't seem to give a damn about that at all as she beamed at me.

"You're new." She stated. Her voice was grating in a way that made me want to cringe.

Good job. You want an award?

"Obvious, huh?" I played along.

"Well..." she started. "We don't get much of your kind in these parts."

I raised an eyebrow, curious if word has already spread this fast about my departure from Soren's fortress. "And what kind is that?"

"Mortal, of course."

I laughed. I've never been mortal, but it sure is easy to play the part. "Truth is..." I said, lowering my voice a little. "I'm looking for a friend. He told me he lived in these parts. Practically begged me to visit him, but of course, he didn't tell me exactly where to go."

"Oh!" the woman scrunched up her face. "I positively hate when the young ones do that. These Jauni these days." She tsked. "Who exactly you looking for? Maybe I could help a fella out."

"Would you, really?" I feigned relief. "That would be great."

"Oh, sure!"

"I'm looking for Ethan."

"Ethan..." the stand-owner thought, her eyes squinting as she adjusted her sun hat. "Ah! I know that boy. He's got the little antlers. Poor thing. Well, he's about three blocks that way—" she pointed to the right. "—in a cabin on the outskirts of the community. The only home with a yellow top there."