Chapter Thirty-Three: A Dangerous Flicker

Aryan

That screeching made my eyes want to pop out of my head. And I swear, if they do, the person responsible won't be able to make noise ever again.

I managed to turn around to face our adversaries. The man called out to Ngozi, reaching out for him as he approached. His brown buff arms scooped Ngozi up with ease—neither of them seemed effected by the noise.

The man's glamour was gone, revealing his true face. His eyes were big and dark, but unlike Alois, this horse Janus did not have black rings around his mouth and eyes, but white patches on the tip and bridge of his nose. Despite this, I recognized him as the man from the photos in Ngozi's living room. If you're the father... I thought, straining to hear myself think. Then you must be... I glared at the woman with the cinnamon skin and rose gold hair. ...the mother.

Her mouth was open and instantly I recognized the sound for what it was. A siren's song. I stared at her hard. I couldn't quite figure out why she seemed familiar, but that wasn't important now.

I pushed my hands closer against my ears, despite knowing it was futile. Like hell I'm going to die here. I tried to push myself off the ground, glancing at Samara as I did. I barely heard her whimper when, all of a sudden, I felt a shift in her emotions. She went from worried to enraged in seconds. I watched her expel a breath before putting her hands on her side and beginning to stand straight.

A dangerous flicker flashed white in her eyes as her mouth set in a disapproving frown.

Shit. I thought, glancing at the siren. She stared, wide-eyed, but continued her deafening song. Ngozi reached for his mother, signing to her, in an attempt, to stop her, but she wouldn't listen to her son.

Samara's eyes flashed white gradually. The intervals between flashes slowing until all the green in her eyes were gone. She barely whispered, but it was more than enough. "Stop. Time for silence, Zahra."

And just like that, the siren, Zahra, went mute. She began to breathe hard, her hand clutching her throat as she realized she could no longer speak. Zahra stared at her son and husband before looking at Samara with surprise. Not anger or sadness, but surprise. This siren... could she—

Ngozi's father took a step in our direction, arms tensing for a fight. Despite feeling a bought of dizziness, I stepped in front of Samara, ready to attack. Samara tried to go around me. Her eyes still pale.

This won't end well. I need to get Samara out of here.

My eyes assessed Ngozi's parents. A voiceless siren and a glorified muscle man. I could take them. Just as I was to confront them, Zahra put a hand on her husband's chest, patting it softly. He froze, his shoulders relaxed, but his eyes glared daggers.

Unfortunately, Samara was not done with them. She raised a hand, and I could feel the air around me swirling. Quickly, I turned around and grabbed her hand, forcing her attention to be on me. Her eyes stared emotionlessly at my hand before tilting her head up to look at me.

Are you still in there?

"Samara," I said slowly, cautiously. "It's ok. We're safe now. They've backed down." She seemed unconvinced. So, I squeezed her hand reassuringly. "Trust me. Let go."

At those words, Samara expelled a breath and leaned against me before blinking hard and standing on her own two feet. "What..." her hand pressed against her temple as her brows pulled together. Her jade green eyes stared up at me before she whispered. "Again?" I felt her disapproval before I saw her frown. "Is everyone...?"