Chapter One Hundred Four: Anisha

Samara

The familiar royal blue fog of the Dreamscape called to me. It rolled like crashing waves, urging me forward with indiscriminate murmurs from below. I was ready to take that step, and just as I did, I heard my name being called.

"Samara?" Kai's familiar soothing tone filled the air between us.

However, I had already stepped off the golden platform, but not before seeing a wispy smile paired with sad eyes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mermaid gazed at herself in the mirror, her silver-toothed comb glided down her strands starting with platinum blond and ending with cerulean blue. Carefully, she placed the comb down, beginning to braid her lengthy hair over her right shoulder.

It took me a moment to realize that her hair floated slightly. I looked at the mermaid, checking if she had legs—she did not. She had gorgeous, shimmering fins the same color as the ends of her hair.

"We're underwater." I mumbled to myself, looking around the large chamber. There was a large window, but I couldn't see beyond it. Like previous visions, anything beyond the area the person my vision is about is unknown to me.

Aside from the vanity and stool that looked like a large white anemone plant, her bed was made up of swaying green and pink anemone. There were colorful coral reefs displayed around the edges of the room as well as a wardrobe.

Before I could examine anything more, there was a knock on the door. And even before she could say a word, two other mermaids came swimming in. One petite with a pixie haircut that suited her small features, and another more fierce mermaid. The latter seemed more like a warrior—at least, that was the air she gave off.

The pale, petite mermaid burst through with excitement. "Anisha! Anisha! Have you heard??"

Anisha—the mermaid I stood with originally—finished tying her braid before looking at the petite, lavender mermaid. Unlike Anisha, the small mermaid had lavender hair and scales. She wore a beaded bikini top of pearls and peridot gems.

"Heard what, Nixie?" Anisha's voice was calm and composed. She seemed used to Nixie's outbursts.

"About the other goddesses returning, of course!" the excitable mermaid cried.

"What the little one forgot to add is that Lord Soren has declared the one who claims she can bring goddesses back to life is a charlatan. A fake." The fierce mermaid declared. She had black hair with gold ends that landed on her shoulders. Her scales were a mix of black and gold and her top looked more like armor than a shirt or bikini like Nixie and Anisha's. "He sends word that she's a curse and not to be trusted."

"Well, we know the curse is real." Nixie shrugged sadly, swimming between the two mermaids. "Just look what happened to poor Lord Nolan..."

"Even if this 'goddess' could bring back the others—bring back our dear Lady Fausta—how could we ever inform her of what has happened to him?" This warrior mermaid clenched her tan fist so tightly, it turned white. "The devastation she would feel..."

Anisha's chocolate eyes watched carefully. They were a little glassy-eyed but filled with hope that translated clearly when she spoke. "Perhaps this person returning goddesses is not so bad. We should have faith. Remember," Anisha said finally moving towards the other two mermaids and reaching for their hands. "Lady Fausta did not wish to be a part of this curse. Perhaps, this woman does not as well. Perhaps... returning these goddesses are her way of making things right."

"Oh?" the gold mermaid scowled. "And how can she make up for Lord Nolan. Can she bring him back as well!?"

I released a shaky breath, uncomfortable in knowing I had no power to return Nolan.

"Cordelia." Anisha said sternly, commanding attention and respect in just one word. "I would like to remind you that news of Nolan's death was devastating for us all. It is not a transgression that any of us take lightly, but don't forget that this event was told through the mouths of goblins and Sarcophilus—both of which are knowns for deceits and hot-headedness. Do you really think what they said was the entire truth?"

Cordelia scowled, taking a step closer to challenge Anisha, and while this gold mermaid was bigger and taller than Anisha, she didn't even blink in fear. In fact, she stared up at Cordelia, almost daring her to try something. "Was the end result not truth enough for you, Captain?" she spat the title out in disdain.

"Lady Fausta has taught us that there are winners and losers in this life. We all recall their penchant for games. Nolan most of all enjoyed a good challenge. Perhaps this one was just... beyond him."

Cordelia grabbed Anisha's crop top in one hand, snarling as she pulled her closer.

"Cord!" Nixie screamed, trying in vain to pull the golden mermaid off their captain.

Anisha, once again, didn't seem bothered in the slightest. At least, that was until you looked into her brown orbs and saw the fury they held. "You dare challenge me?"

"Oh, now you want to act like a leader, Anisha!?" Cordelia raised her free hand like she would punch Anisha, but kept it still. "Well, it's too late. The others and I are in agreement. Let this false goddess come. Let her do what she says she can. When she's done, we'll avenge Nolan's death."

Finally, Anisha could no longer keep still. She swiftly got out of Cordelia's grip, swished her tail roughly behind the golden mermaid and slammed her to the stone floor beneath. "How very selfish of you all to make such a decision. Do you not think the rest of Arcanum would revel to have their goddesses back as well?

Before Cordelia could even react, Anisha swam quickly out the door. Nixie stared sympathetically at Cordelia but followed her captain. I ran to keep up with the swift blue mermaid, her platinum blond hair like a streak of lightning through the water. Anisha swam along the railing, stopping in the middle of the part of the corridor that overlooked the entire court below. She raised a hand in the air, snapping her fingers and quickly draining the water from inside the palace walls, causing murmurs of distress and shock from her fellow halflings and Jauni below.

With that single snap, Anisha had everyone's attention. She didn't hesitate to speak. She didn't even let the water finish transforming her tail into legs before she began. "HEAR ME, CITIZENS OF OPAL CITY! Some of you have forgotten that I have been left in charge here! I will remind you that any violence that should come to this supposed 'fake goddess' will be met with the highest of treason! Should she truly return Lady Fausta..." Anisha slammed open the golden doors behind her, but I couldn't see what was inside. "...it is SHE who will decide her fate! Is that understood!?"

There were grumbles of consensus, but in the corner, I could hear Cordelia whisper to a small group of mermaids, "Anisha has become too soft-hearted over the years. We will have to take matters into our own hands."