Chapter Fifty-Three: Must Be True

Aryan

Samara looked peaceful as I placed her against a tree trunk. But I knew better than to think she felt that way. As she slept, for a brief amount of time, I felt nothing from her, but for the last few minutes, I could feel this anguish and decisiveness coming off her. What is she thinking about? Is she talking to Kai? I wondered. No. I shook my head, looking around for spare twigs and logs. If she was with him, she wouldn't be so antsy.

            I sighed, thinking about what we just left behind. As I secured our camp for the evening, I couldn't help but recall how Niobe wished us well. "The goddesses shall guide you." She declared with certainty. "Seraphina has blessed you with knowledge. Use it well and restore the balance."

            I was ready to drill her about the guidance thing when we felt a short, but intense earthquake. Niobe seemed worried but tried to shrug it off. I knew that surge of power, though. Soren. I scowled. He was so close to us. If we hadn't left when we did, I don't know what would have happened. I glanced over at the very still Samara. Or even worse, what she would have done if he had touched her. Hell, what I would have done if he tried to capture her.

            I shook off these pesky emotions. I shouldn't be dwelling on what ifs—not when there is still so much more to do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samara slept on blissfully unaware of our surroundings. Meanwhile, every little noise kept me alert. I was drained from our visit to Seraphina. When she brought back those blocked memories, it was like getting hit with an anchor. I'd say, I can't believe Neri would have Lady Ashira spell me, but honestly, it doesn't surprise me. Knowing her, she probably thought she was protecting me. Gods, maybe she knew Soren would torture me one day.

            I bit back a bitter laugh at that.

            Before I could drive myself nuts thinking about it, I felt this pang of sadness so sharp that I began tearing up. My shoulders felt heavy, like a weight was pushing me down. I wiped a runaway tear, feeling my brows pull together. What in the World Below is happening right now?

            I glanced over at Samara. Her whole body was scrunched up in a ball. Her breathing was heavy, and a waterfall of tears were dripping down her face. I rushed to her side, shaking her awake. "Samara! Samara, wake up!"

            She gasped deeply, springing off the ground. She took a few calming breaths before looking up at me. "Aryan..." she tried to speak like there was nothing wrong, but the slight shaking in her voice deceived her. "Is something the matter?"

            I gaped at her, incredulously. Is this woman being serious right now? She was literally in a ball of pain, but I'm the one that has something going on?!?

            "You're kidding, right? Samara, what's wrong? I've never felt that type of sorrow. Ever. It was... devastating. What's going on?"

            She seemed hesitant to answer me. Are you going to hide something else from me?

            "I'm fine, Aryan." I raised an eyebrow at her. "Really." She insisted, wiping the tears off her cheeks. "I'm sorry I've worried you. I think... I think everything that's happened has finally just hit me. It's all a bit overwhelming, is all."

            I leered at her, wondering if that was really all there was to it. After all, we did just go through a lot. Her more than me. She was conscious as the goddesses spoke through her to Seraphina. That had to be trying, at the very least. Still. Something nagged at me.

            I felt my mouth half-pout as I slowly let it go. "Fine, but—" I wiped the last trickling tear that ran down her face. "—if something else is bothering you, make sure you tell me." Samara's face heated up as her eyebrows raised, surprised. "I can give a damn if I want to. Besides, I'm just going to feel it anyway." I rolled my eyes at her.

            That succeeded in getting a small smile to lighten up her dreary expression. Samara nodded her head. "Ok," she started, that smile finally reaching those jade eyes of hers. "I'll let you know the next time something bothers me."

            I wanted to believe her, but that sadness was so deep, it was like she was mourning someone.

            Samara yawned, covering her mouth with one hand while continuing to prop herself up with the other. "I can't understand how I can possibly be so tired." She groaned. "Haven't I been asleep for hours?" she asked, looking up at the starry night.

            I chuckled darkly. "Getting knocked unconscious is not the same as going to bed."

            She giggled, a light-hearted chime that made her feel something other than despair. "Too bad." She joked. "I could have been all rested up! Speaking of rest..." Samara leaned closer to me, her delicate features close to my own. "You look like you need some. Aryan, you should go to bed."

            I half-frowned at the thought. "Sleep? Are you crazy? Soren is right behind us!"

            "And how could you outrun him if I have to drag you around?" she countered with a cute smirk.

            "Oh, so you're a comedian now?" I asked drily.

            "No, but... I know what it feels like to be drained. And taking care of yourself should be equally as important as looking out for me. Ok?"

             "Mhhhmmmmm."

            "If you lie down next to me, I'll tell you something that happened to me in the Dreamscape."

            "Is this the thing that's been bugging you?" I asked cautiously.

            She nodded, her eyes returning to the stars as she lied down. She waited until I was laid out next to her to speak. "I met someone. I think it was Azlin."

            "Azlin?"

            "Yeah..." she said softly. "We really do look a lot alike. It was kind of unbelievable."

            "And what did she say to you?" I asked, careful to remove any sort of harshness from my tone.

            "The same as Seraphina. We have to find the goddesses' resting sites to return their souls that are within me. She... she said it would all be fine... in the end."

            "Well," I said, placing my hands under my head. "If Azlin said it, it must be true. She is the goddess of wisdom, after all. Wait, how is it possible that you even met her?"

            "I'm..." Samara yawned again. "I'm not quite sure. Something about asking Seraphina and a pinwheel."

            I held in my laughter as I felt Samara relax enough to start sleeping. Good. I thought. Rest up. But it didn't take long for a little of that sadness to creep back in again.