Chapter Forty-Three: A Serene Feeling

Aryan

Samara's warm body against my back was soothing and slightly painful. I made sure to grit my teeth as she slowly fell asleep on me. I didn't want her to wake up just because of a slow healing rib. Stupid rib. Heal faster! Honestly, it was already healing a lot faster than any mortals would have, but still, that didn't stop it from being a literal pain in my side.

Besides, it's not like I had any plans to rest anyway. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't. Not after everything that happened. I could sense people in the woods, searching. But fortunately, none of them were close to our location. Not yet.

The fire was starting to dwindle. I was ready to get up to put some more firewood in it, but then thought better of it. I turned my head, just catching a glimpse of Samara's dark hair against my shoulder.

Suddenly, I could recall Samara's hand against my face. "Can you feel it?"

I cleared my throat, clearing my head while I was at it. What am I even thinking about? She was just talking about her new skill. Nothing more. Idiot. I chastised myself.

I looked up, but there were no stars to entertain me. The sky was blocked by murky clouds. We're getting close to First Mountain. Once we make it over that, Seraphina's is practically around the corner.

But what will that mean for us? Will Seraphina actually help Samara? She didn't help the gods and goddesses resolve their quarrel before, and now look what's happened. We're running for our damn lives with little more for a solution. Can this curse even be stopped?

A sharp sadness went through me. "Samara?" I whispered, slowly sliding my back off hers and gently placing her head on the ground beside me. In the dimming light, I could just make out a glittering of tears coming down her face.

I wiped them away carefully. Soren said something else to you, didn't he? I knew she was hiding something, but after I told her the news about Nolan, she nearly shut down. I could feel it. I really hope Seraphina has answers for you.

Hell, and for me too.

Familiars don't act the way I have. At least, that hasn't been my previous experience. With Neri, there was this intense loyalty. Like, disobeying her would end my world. Even though, she never really did anything to even imply that, it just felt like that. I never would have fooled around and spoke to Neri the same way I have with Samara.

"I consider you my friend..."

Maybe... I feel that way too?

Samara released a shaky breath before a calm came over her. I couldn't help but glare at her, or rather, through her. Kai. I scowled. I'd recognize that instant calm anywhere. Why is she talking to him? I paused, stretching carefully so I didn't grimace in pain. Whatever. I guess it's ok. That is, if he's being helpful. That is his thing, after all.

I looked back at the fire, watching the embers smoke as I clenched my fist tightly.

Samara

I was surprised by how easily I fell asleep tonight. The last few nights have been difficult. All I could think about was my dreamwalk into Soren's mind. And tonight, was no exception, but... maybe it was the warmth I was exuding, or the feeling of Aryan against me, but I felt like I could relax. At least, for a moment.

I opened my eyes to find myself in the Dreamscape. That starlight gown was on me, and the navy-blue fog below whispered for my attention, but I ignored all of it. Instead, I just sat at the end of the circular platform, refusing to look at the opposite end of the bridge. The wispy sand gently grazed my hands. It almost felt like it was trying to comfort me, and suddenly, I couldn't keep it together anymore. One tear fell, and then another and another. The next thing I knew, I was sobbing uncontrollably. My head was against my knees, and it was getting hard to breathe.