Chapter Twenty-Nine: Ok

Aryan

Well, this was one hell of a day.

My eyes were closed, but I could do anything but rest. Which really pissed me off because my body is begging me to be merciful and take it easy. But my instincts are on high alert. I guess a part of that is the familiar contract, but another part of that is just because Soren's determination is a pain in the ass.

It doesn't help that Samara is going through a range of emotions while she sleeps. For the most part, I got a sense that she was curious. But then, without warning, she was emanating nervousness, and then... yearning?

I leaned over to look at her. What in the worlds are you dreaming about? A flare of possessiveness came over me at an unexpected thought. WHO are you dreaming about?

Ugh! Stupid familiar contract... I let out a sigh. Why is this contract so different? I don't think I ever had so many feelings when Neri was around. Loyalty, definitely, but the rest of this bullshit... I rolled my eyes. So annoying.

Samara looked peaceful but exhausted as I watched over her. Then again, she had just as intense of a day as I did. Maybe more when I think about the way her eyes were flickering white when she was fighting off the Jauni of Ash Valley. Not to mention how she couldn't even recall doing such a thing. That was strange. I don't remember Neri or the other goddesses' eyes ever changing color when they used their powers. Maybe it has to do with the curse?

I didn't really know what to think of all this. And I just know Samara has about a million more questions to ask me. But... I won't be able to answer them all.

Better to take her to Seraphina. I nodded, taking the fallen blanket Samara was using and covering her with it. Maybe she'll have some answers for me too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the first crack of dawn, I was shaking Samara awake.

She groaned cutely, squishing her eyes shut hard before she opened them. "Aryan..." she started groggily, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "Is it time to go?"

"Yeah," I nodded, grabbing her blanket and stuffing it in her pack. "Daylight is burning."

She yawn-giggled as she said, "Wasn't it just lit?"

I rolled my eyes, turning away from her to smirk. "We don't have any time to waste. We have to assume Soren's soldiers are ahead of us and asking around about us."

"Right," she walked over to me, stretching. "Vigilance is key."

I nodded before handing Samara her backpack. She put it on quickly and we were back on course.

As we walked, she asked, "Did you sleep well?"

"Hardly," I scoffed.

"Oh." She seemed distraught for me. "I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it. I couldn't sleep if I wanted to. Especially not knowing how close we were to being discovered yesterday." We were quiet for a moment, and before I could stop myself, I said, "By the way, what the hell were you dreaming about?"

"Me?" she asked surprised. "Nothing much. Why?"

"Because your feelings were all over the place. Dreaming up something naughty, were you?" I chuckled.