Chapter One Hundred Thirty-Eight: Idea

Samara

It was the middle of the night and while the sandstorm persisted, the only sound I could hear was my own heart beating violently in my ears. I managed to sit up, only to find Aryan's glowing gaze on me. The moon rays were partially covered by the storm, but it was enough to notice the concern etched on his face.

Suddenly, he grabbed my right arm, roughly. I inhaled a sharp breath, finding his warm touch to sting. "What happened?" His low voice was almost menacing, but I could tell it wasn't directed at me.

I placed my hand over his, patting it softly. Aryan eased his grip enough that I was finally able to get a good look at my arm. Long, red scratches ran along it. I frowned. "It must be from the Dreamscape."

"Did Kai hurt you?" my familiar's eyes narrowed dangerously. He already didn't care for the god of sustenance; I couldn't imagine what their next run in would look like if he misunderstood.

"No. He wouldn't ever." I claimed, adamantly. "No, I accidentally dreamwalked on Callum."

Aryan was seething, reaching for the healing cream he placed next to the bed, and applying the ointment onto my wounds for the second time tonight. "So, what? That means he has the right to put his hands on you?"

I bit my tongue at my protective companion. "I think I surprised him. I didn't know it was his mind, at first. Although, I don't blame him for being upset. In some ways, it is an invasion of privacy." Aryan didn't seem to agree based off his skeptical expression, but he didn't voice his thoughts. So, I continued. "He was remembering Brisa, and it was... beautiful and heartbreaking all at the same time." I didn't go into any details, feeling that I had already intruded enough on Callum's private affairs. "But I think I may have an idea on how to start looking for Brisa's resting place."

Aryan raised an eyebrow, waiting patiently for me to tell more.

"I'm not sure what she was, but Brisa had a woman helping her. She had wings, and the light shimmered around her. I don't think Callum could see her though." I said, smiling in gratitude as Aryan capped the healing cream and reached for a small hand towel. I wasn't exactly sure where he got it from, but he must have gotten up while I was sleeping.

"Oh," he tilted his head, something coming to mind. "Could be a sylph."

"Sylph?"

"Yeah, they're kind of like... wind spirits, I guess." He shrugged. "Though I've never seen one. They rarely reveal themselves to men. At least, not to my knowledge."

"Huh..." I leaned against the wall, turning my head to watch the sandstorm slowly dwindle. "Maybe Ailia can help. She's been in Zephyr for a while now. So, she may know where to look." I closed my eyes. My body was numb from being sore. "The sylph's name was Gale."

"She's probably one of Brisa's halflings. Could even be her handmaiden if she was reporting to her directly." I could feel the mattress shift as Aryan sat next to me. His shoulder pressed into mine. "Regardless, we'll worry about it in the morning."

I blinked up at him, finding his eyes were shut, giving me a glimpse of his long, black lashes. I put my head against his shoulder, but he didn't seem to mind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Morning!" Ailia said cheerfully as she munched on a piece of toast.

"Breakfast?" Ethan offered as he held up the pan he was cooking with.

I glanced over at Aryan who was stretching behind me. "That would be wonderful. Thank you." I smiled at our hosts.

The pair looked quite cozy in the kitchen, and for a moment, I was envious. I've never had that experience of just... being with someone. Doing something so ordinary and living in that moment.

Must be nice.

Aryan gently pushed me out of the doorway and towards the young couple. The small motion made me remember myself, and why we were here. I sat across from Ailia, making sure not to move too quickly and aggravate my injuries.

"What happened to your arm?" Ailia wondered, frowning.

"Oh, it's just a scratch." I said, avoiding the reason. I didn't want to worry her. She already had a lot on her plate. Ailia seemed like she wanted to press further, but I continued, "I've been thinking about how to help you two, and I may have a place to start. However, I don't know Zephyr well."

Ethan put two plates of eggs and bacon in front us as he asked, "How can we help?"

"Do you know any sylphs?" Aryan inquired, popping a piece of bacon in his mouth.

"Sylphs?" Ailia scrunched her lips together like she didn't want to discuss these beings. "I've seen a few around."

"You have?" Ethan's eyebrows raised, shocked.

"How can you not see them fluttering around town?" she commented.

"It's because they don't reveal themselves to men." I disclosed. "Do you know where they gather?"

She shook her head, red hair swaying. "No, but I'm sure it won't be hard to follow them."

I wasn't sure it would be as easy as Ailia was suggesting, but we had little choice but to try. "Well, how about it then?"

"Yeah, we can definitely help search." Ethan nodded, fervently.

"I'm sorry, Ethan," I began. "But this is not something you and Aryan can help with."

"Bullshit." Aryan swore, leering at me. "I'm going with you."

"If you did, it's possible the sylphs won't show themselves." I countered. "Instead, I think you and Ethan should look into this Donovan fellow."

"Yeah, she's right." Ailia agreed. "Sylphs are flakey. If they catch even a hint of a man they don't care for, they're gone."

"Says the girl that just found out that men can't see them." Aryan crabbily poked my bruised rib lightly, making me sit up straight and grunt softly. "You really think you can handle being on your own right now? I know you're powerful, Samara, but you're also injured."

"Well... it all made sense after you said it." She countered his first point before moving on. "And besides, I'll be with her!" Ailia swiftly formed and dissipated a green fireball.

"That's not reassuring." He scowled.

I appreciated Aryan's concern, but we needed to be strategic. These kids don't have a lot of time left, and I'd prefer to find Brisa sooner rather than later. "If we split up, we can kill two birds with one stone. Either way, we'd have to find Brisa's resting place and deal with Donovan."

"Exactly, so just let me—"

I grabbed Aryan's hand from under the table, squeezing it reassuringly. "I'll be fine. We'll all meet here in the evening."

My familiar growled, conceding much faster than I would have expected. "Sunset."

"Sunset." I smiled.

Ailia grinned, eyes darting between us.

Aryan quickly rolled his eyes at the girl before setting those amber orbs on the boy. "If I get drugged again because of you, I promise, when I wake up, I will kick your ass." He said pointedly as he polished off the food on his plate.

"That wasn't my fault!" Ethan proclaimed.

"That remains to be seen." Aryan uttered, wryly.

The fairy ignored them, focusing on me as she excitedly said, "Girls' trip! Come on, let's get ready!"

I laughed, letting the girl pull me along as I watched Aryan grimace.