Chapter Sixty-Five: Something Planned

Milo

I can't believe that Lady Zen is finally back! Well... almost, but seeing this girl, Samara, has excited me for the first time in a long time. The last few years have been unbearably boring. Nothing to do but the same. Menial. Tasks. I've missed our fair Goddess of Light. She always had something interesting planned. Ah! Like the time we searched Arcanum for the perfect mask or the creation of Star Day...

Just thinking about those times tickle me. But I'm not the only one who misses her. All of Willow has changed in her passing. Slowly. Achingly awaiting the return of our goddess.

I wonder if Lord Colton knows yet. Should I tell him? Or maybe just let it be a surprise? Yes! That's it! A surprise! Lady Zen always loved to surprise him. And this will certainly be a shock. Just thinking about the look on his handsomely, stoic face made me smile.

Speaking of smiling, I watched as my special guests munched away on their specially made breakfast of eggs, toast, and freshly squeezed orange juice. Samara's eyes lit up thanks to my delicious cooking. Thank you very much. And Aryan, well, he wasn't dancing around or anything, but he surely wasn't spiting it out either. I call that a win.

"So..." I started, staring at Samara as she sipped on her juice. "What's next for you two? Where are you heading?"

"Well, I was hoping you might be able to help with that." Samara started timidly. She had a kind voice. Soft and warm in tone.

It's a wonder how she ended up with Snarky McGee over there.

"Help you how?" I asked, curious.

"This might sound... strange." She tilted her head a bit as she tried to find the right words. "But would you happen to know where Zenaida is?"

See. Lady Zen always has something planned. I felt my smile widen slowly.

"Of course, I know where she is."

"You do!?" Samara sat up excitedly.

"I do." I nodded.

"So, are you gonna take us to her or just tease us about it?" Aryan asked, watching me with those amber eyes.

"Sure thing..."

Samara grinned at Aryan. Her hand touched his forearm gently before she blushed and looked back at me.

Even more fun... I smirked.

"...In another day or so."

Aryan's eyes narrowed. Boy does this guy know how to go from zero to irritated. "Why's that?"

"Several reasons." I shrugged nonchalantly as I took the emptied dishes from my guests and placed them in the sink. "One, the festival ends tomorrow, and I never miss the last day. Two, the both of you look... Well, to be frank, you look like something the Creepers dragged out of The Dark Woods. And I'm never seen with unseemly beings. No offense. So, we need to go into town and fix that. And three, you two are waaayyy too intense. I can't take you to Lady Zen without you being well... Zen. So, what do you say, want to go into town today?"

The pair looked at each other before they looked at me. Aryan had his mouth set in a disapproving frown—I'm starting to think he just always looks this grumpy—and Samara had a thoughtful look about her.

After another moment, Samara smiled. She almost seemed to bite her tongue as if she had thought of something amusing. "How about it, Aryan?" she started, her hand teasingly touching his hair. "You do need a haircut."