Chapter One Hundred Thirty-Four: Not Ok

Ailia

I know Ethan didn't want to say anything, but that seemed ridiculous to me. We were not ok. I don't think I can get away with pretending for long. I've already gone on long enough like that.

Don't get me wrong, I love my life with Ethan. I don't regret leaving Ash Valley, but it wasn't easy getting where we are now. We didn't have anything. No money, no food, no provisions of any sort. It was difficult finding a job, let alone a place to live that wouldn't judge us for who we loved. I'd be kidding myself to say we haven't made some bad choices along the way, and now we have to deal with them, but maybe we don't have to do it alone...

After a brief spat in our room, I rushed out, looking for Samara. It became quickly apparent she was in our spare room. I took a deep breath before nearly charging in. I tried to remain steadfast in my decision to ask for help. But the second I made it to the doorway, I froze. Samara was in there, alright. But Aryan was right in front of her. They two were so intimately close that I suddenly felt like I should have knocked.

I blushed the moment Samara's eyes landed on me. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt." I stuttered. "I didn't realize you two were—" I cleared my throat, trying to stay on task. "Do you two have a minute?"

The room was quiet save for the whirling wind and the rattling glass due to the sandstorm. Aryan turned his head, eyebrow raised before stepping to the side so that I could see the entirety of Samara's body.

"Of course." Samara smiled. It was as gentle as ever and helped to calm my nerves, but only a little.

I took a few steps into the room, but stopped when I heard an intense rumbling. Immediately, Aryan and I stared at Samara. The dragon Janus let out a rare chuckle before quickly sobering up. Meanwhile, the lady in question scrunched her mouth in embarrassment.

I smiled, momentarily relieved that I didn't have to broach the much needed subject. "You two must be hungry. Let me make something for you." I insisted.

"Didn't you have something to say?" Aryan said drily and without the teensiest acknowledgement of my offer.

"Yes, but... it can wait... a little bit longer." I said, gesturing for them to follow me out of the room.

"Well, if it's not too much trouble..." Samara replied, slow and appreciative.

"Not at all! Again, it's the least I can do. Any requests?" I asked.

"Anything but rabbit." Aryan threw out there, glancing with an amused expression at Samara.

She revealed a slow smile for him. It was... sweet and delicate and reminded me of all my happy moments with my own love. For just a second, I forgot myself.

"Anything you have is fine." Samara finally said, looking my way. "Ailia, are you ok?"

"Huh?" I got myself together swiftly. "Yes, I'm fine. I'll whip something up for us. It shouldn't take long. Feel free to have a seat."

I worked quickly to make some rice and chicken for us all. Despite having an oven, I still liked to roast my chicken over an open flame. Preferably, mine. So, I lit a green fireball in my hand and got to work. As I did, Ethan came back into the room, sheepishly. While Samara and Aryan sat on the couch, whispering, Ethan came over and kissed me on the cheek.

"You're right," he spoke softly enough so only I could hear him. "I'm sorry. I just—"

I smiled, feeling a sense of relief that I wouldn't have to do this alone. "I know. But we can get past that too. If we can leave Ash Valley, we can do anything together."

He smiled, pushing his hand past his little lovable horns as he scratched his head. "Yeah, we'll do it together."

____________________________________________________________

As Ethan helped me wrap up dinner, I noticed Samara couldn't take her eyes off us. She was so eerily observant that there were moments when I felt like she could peer into my soul, and honestly, maybe she could.

Silently, she got up and approached. "Is there anything I can help with?"

I paused, wondering if this was the perfect segue for what needed to be discussed. "With dinner... no..."

Her smile didn't falter. It continued to be reassuring and lax. But also, she didn't seem surprised. It was almost like she was waiting for this conversation to occur. Samara took the plate of food I passed her as she said, "Then what can I help you with?"

She gave the food to Aryan before we gathered around the table. It was almost funny to see so many different types of beings casually preparing to discuss the latest drama, so to speak.

"We're... in trouble." I confessed.

Ethan immediately began to dig in, avoiding eye contact like his life depended on it. Aryan stared at the food skeptically—like I had poisoned my own food—before taking a mouthful, and Samara managed to keep eye contact as she ate—which was a new experience entirely for me.

Slightly unsettled, I continued. "Ethan and I... may have gotten in with some of the wrong people..."