Chapter Sixty-Three: Fireflies

Samara

As we descended towards the light, there was a spark of anticipation that thrilled me. I wasn't quite sure why I was so excited, but it felt as if something inside me had awakened. Like I was returning home after being away for so long.

            Of course, I've felt this sense of belonging since arriving in Arcanum, but it wasn't nearly as strong as it was today.

            By the time we made it to the bottom of the stairs, it was dusk, and yet, there was still a warm yellow light emanating ahead.

            "What do you think that light is?" I asked Aryan.

            His brows furrowed, and his mouth was set in a half-frown. How Aryan could manage being curious, annoyed, and puzzled simultaneously, may be one of the few things that I'll never understand.

            I tried to hide how amusing his face was as he replied, "Hell, if I know. But we better be careful."

            "Are you ever not suspicious?" I teased, walking ahead of him and towards the twilight glow.

            He chased after me, eyes rolling. "Yeah, well, don't forget that Soren is a literal psycho right now that will do just about anything to accomplish his goal. Which, if you remember, is our heads."

            "I remember." I spoke softly as I did my best not to recall the gritty events in the Dreamscape, or even the chase prior to us escaping in The Dark Woods. "But... I have a good feeling about this. I can't explain it. I just..." I paused, looking up at my companion. "We should head towards the light."

            "Uh huh... because that's always a good sign." He said with an extra bit of snark in his tone.

            Smiling, I kept going, and despite Aryan's skepticism, I was comforted to have him beside me. Even in his grumpier states, he was a source of warmth and security. Does he even realize it?

            Suddenly, feeling warm myself, I looked away from Aryan and approached the light. Each step brought us closer to the silhouette of a person. Soon, it was obvious that we were seeing a man gather fireflies in a jar.

He was... adorable!

While shorter than me, his violet skin glowed warmly in yellow patches, drawing the fireflies to him. His cotton candy hair was short and shaggy, and as we approached, I could see that his skin was accented with subtle shimmering filigree that reminded me of the willow tree branches gently swaying in the breeze. His head turned just enough for me to see his fern green eyes behind his round lenses. And immediately, I knew he was trustworthy.

            The man seemed shocked. He froze—jar raised in the air—as he asked, "Did you two..." his eyes trailed behind us, glancing over at the staircase. "...just come from The Dark Woods!?!"

            "And if we did?" Aryan leered, taking a step in front of me.

            "Yes." I nodded, making eye contact with the man as I tried not to look up at Aryan's ever scolding expression.

            The man locked eyes with me, put the lid on the jar with the few fireflies he was able to catch, and smiled kindly. "I've been waiting for you."

            "That's not suspicious." Aryan muttered under his breath.

            "I'm Milo." He said, his skin no longer glowing as he extended a hand towards me.

            "Samara." I said, reaching for him. The second I touched Milo's hand, his entire skin lit up again and the fireflies instantly swarmed around us.

            Milo looked up at the fireflies, then at our hands. "Well," he smirked, excited. "Zen really is in there, isn't she?"

            "And who are you exactly?" Aryan asked, aggressively grabbing my hand away from Milo. When he did, his internal light turned off and the only glow left was from the fireflies flickering nearby.

            "Like I said," he started calmly. "I'm Milo. But seeing as you seem like the type of person that would rip the wings off a firefly, I'll add that I was Lady Zenaida's familiar. Before the whole curse matter." He shrugged as if it was something you would slip into any normal conversation.

            "And you've been waiting?" I asked, brows furrowing. "For me?"

            "Of course!" he said, slipping the jar into his sack. "I knew Lady Zen's light couldn't be extinguished forever. Besides, she knew she would return one day. She didn't say how, but..." he looked to the side thoughtfully. "She said that I would know the moment she returned." His eyes zeroed in on me as he smiled gently. "Obviously, she was right. Anyway, let's go!"

            Milo instantly turned on his heels and began to walk down the dark path ahead.

            "Let's go?" I asked, confused.

            "I don't plan to stay out in the woods all night. Do you?" the Janus countered, barely turning his head back to see if we were following.

            "N-no." I replied, completely taken off guard by his lax attitude. I looked up at Aryan, a bit unsure of what to do. "He's a bit..."

            "Nuts." Aryan said, drily.

            "...impulsive?" I countered.

            "Well, no use trying to argue. Let's just go." He looked back at The Dark Woods—his eyes serious. "I don't want the Creepers to get any ideas. If we need to, we'll just slip away when he's not looking."

            "I don't think that's necessary." I said, taking a step in Milo's direction.

            "We'll see about that."