Chapter One Hundred Thirty-Three: Instinct

Aryan

Zephyr was as bustling as ever. The windy desert city was a hub for air transportation, but it seems we wouldn't see any of it today as dark storm clouds rolled in. I could hear the incoming thunder—distant but ever approaching. Despite the weather, there were plenty of people going about their business. Many were clearly scrambling—preparing for the storm. After being out in the Pastel Desert during a sandstorm, I couldn't blame them for wanting to get their shit in order. Frankly, I'd rather not experience it again.

I glanced towards my companions. While I was barely tuned into their conversation, I heard enough to find Ailia amicably chatting to Samara about the outdoor market, where she worked, and how she spent most of her days. In typical Samara-fashion she ooh'd and awed at everything. It was amusing how she never got exhausted of seeing a new place. Maybe I can't feel that same excitement because I've seen nearly every inch of Arcanum repeatedly over the centuries. But I didn't tire of Samara's reaction. It was always adorable.

She turned, her green eyes catching mine as she grinned widely. I knew she felt apprehensive earlier. Whatever she saw in her vision clearly nagged at her, but it was good that she could put that aside—at least, for the moment.

It seemed that she was about to speak when a sudden downpour interrupted. The rain made everyone scatter like roaches as the thunder roared loudly overhead.

Ailia grabbed Samara's hand, and instantly, Samara reached for mine. "This way! We're almost there!" the fairy declared, keeping us together as we pushed through the racing crowd.

After several minutes of running, we made it to a set of stairs in an alleyway. We ambled up two flights before rushing through a dark brown door. Ailia and Samara laughed; their arms outstretched as they tugged at their sopping wet shirts.

"I'll get you both a change of clothes." The red head gestured us further inside as she took off to one of the bedrooms.

As I glanced around, I was surprised the lovebirds managed to get such a spacious apartment—especially considering that they left Ash Valley with the literal clothes on their backs. They had two bedrooms, a generous bathroom and an open concept living room and kitchen. Not to mention, everything was fully furnished. My instincts told me something was definitely off.

"Everything alright?" Samara wondered—a brow raised.

"Not sure." I replied, feeling suddenly on edge.

Ailia returned quickly, handing us both fresh clothes. "Feel free to use the bathroom or the spare room over there." She pointed to both spots. "Obviously, you can sleep here." She smiled.

"Where's Ethan?" Samara asked her, heading towards the bathroom.

"He's working. But he'll be home soon. Whenever it storms like this, the pub always closes early."

"I see. It will be nice to meet with him again." Samara announced before shutting the door behind her.

I followed her lead, using the spare room. I closed the door, looking at the small bedroom. It had a large mattress pad on the floor, a medium size wardrobe, and a small window that surprisingly didn't force you to look at another stone building. Instead, you got a look at the vast Pastel Desert in the near distance.

I changed quickly, throwing my wet clothes in the corner of the room, and finding the girls sitting on the couch. Before they noticed, I overheard a part of their conversation.

"Samara," Ailia started. "Are the rumors true about you?"

"What rumors would that be?" she replied back, a bundle of nerves overtaking her.