Chapter Twelve: Arcanum

Samara

Once again, the night of Arcanum captivated me.

The air was crisp and clean. The forest was lively and vibrant as all its living creatures—plants and animals alike—carried on as if Aryan and I hadn't just come from another land. The night sky was cloudy, blocking most of the light the moon offered, but as impossible as it seemed, I could still see some of the stars shining through the darkness. And although it has only been a few days since I was last here, it feels like it was eons ago.

I was once more confident that this was a place my heart longed to be, and now, with nothing holding me back, this is a place I could stay. The possibility for a normal life soared within me but was quickly squelched as Aryan reminded me of our situation.

"This way," he whispered beside me. "Soren's palace is too close to stay out in the open like this. He's sure to have his soldiers about looking for us." Aryan's gaze was stony as he said, "Soren's not one for giving up just because something doesn't go his way."

"I've noticed."

The way Aryan stiffened just the tiniest bit made me want to grab ahold of his hand and assure him that he was safe, but I knew such an action would cause him to be suspicious of me. I can't say that I blame him after everything he's been through, but I have to believe he must trust me a little. I did, after all, save his life, but more than that, he's stood by me since he awoke. He brought me to safety in the forest, indulged my farewell to my home, and told me the story of the Veil. A story I felt very... connected to.

I didn't have enough time to think on this though as Aryan forged ahead, gesturing me to follow him.

We did not venture on the path, but beside it. Hidden by shrubs and trees, we made our way some distance with little light to guide us. Aryan tripped a few times in front of me. The last finally causing me to crash into him roughly. We both fell with a thump to the cool ground.

"Sorry," I tried to look at his muted form, but found it difficult to discern whether or not he was injured as we sat on the ground behind a rather large tree trunk. His dim figure became nothing but a dark outline as the cloudy night completely blocked out our only lantern. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

It was almost undetectable the way he winced, but I took note. "I'm fine. Just a scrape."

I wasn't sure I believed him and wished to the powers that be that I could see better in order to help him—that the clouds would seize obscuring the moon's beams.

Suddenly, this sharp, stabbing pain came through me. My temples throbbed as I did my best not to whimper from the pain, but it seemed that was not meant to be. I closed my eyes tightly, a ringing in my ears now. I faintly heard my companion calling me. Asking me if I was alright. He placed his hands on my shoulders, shaking me some and then, just as suddenly as it had occurred, the throbbing pain in my temples—as well as the ringing in my ears—disappeared, as if it had never happened.

"I'm alright," I managed to get out, opening my eyes to find I could see clear as day! Everything was all at once vivid and dim, but somehow, I could make out every single thing in the forest clearly. Every miniscule detail was revealed to me, including Aryan's concerned yet confused expression. "Actually, I can see."

Aryan lifted one brow like I was being peculiar. "Good job, your eyes work."

"No, I mean—" Frustration seemed to roll off of him, and I thought it better to save my discovery for a later date. Before we got off the ground, I did manage to look at his knees to find, he truly had just a scrape. It was quite raw, but not anything I couldn't fix once we got to a safe location. "Where are you looking to go?"