Chapter One Hundred Fifteen: Commotion

Anisha

I closed the golden doors behind me, shutting my eyes tightly. I needed a moment. Just a moment. Nixie's lack of faith shook me. But I shouldn't doubt myself now. It's too little too late for all that.

In the near distance there was a roar of commotion. Cordelia and her cohort will be here any minute. I pulled a small golden rod from my pocket, pressing the button on the side of it until it swiftly elongated to be taller than me. I squeezed my cerulean staff, rubbing the familiar kelp detailing that was engraved on it.

I twirled it around like I had just used it yesterday rather than many, many years ago. As I pounded one end on the floor, Cordelia rounded the corner, her face red with anger as she wielded her golden trident.

Good. I thought. If she's mad, she won't be fully in control of herself. I can use that.

"Anisha!" she bellowed, raising her trident just high enough to point at me. "You traitor!" she went to stab at me, but I used my staff to smack it away.

At the same time, I pushed one end of my weapon into her chest, forcing her back and crashing into her cohort. They yelped and Cordelia grunted.

"How could you let that cursed goddess into Lady Fausta's room!?" she asked, coming at me again. Once more I blocked, but this time, her lackeys tried to surround me. Still, I dodged further attacks—parrying each one. "ANSWER ME!"

I ducked the stab, taking the opportunity afforded to me while her trident was stuck in the doors behind me. I swiped my staff, hitting three mermaid fins and forcing them too swim back and away.

"She's too strong." One of her subordinates said to the other.

"No!" Cordelia snapped. "She's just one mermaid. We can take her!"

Still, I didn't reply, I watched, vigilantly, for their next move. However, rather than giving them a chance, I responded first, lifting the staff so that it hit Cordelia in the chin and her other two soldiers in the shoulder. Then, I swiftly reached up to Cordelia's weapon, pressed the button to shorten it and used my tail to slide it beneath Lady Fausta's door.

"UGH!" Cordelia's lack of composure finally coming to an all time high. "Just... charge her! She can't stop us all!"

Her comrades hesitated, but only for a moment. I went to hit one of them again, but suddenly, Nixie was in front of her, and I... faltered. It was for just a second, but it was exactly the second Cordelia needed to grab my staff, yank me forward and pin me to the ground with my own weapon. Her helpers—except Nixie—held me down while Cordelia began punching me. First in my face, then in my gut. I tried not to react. To be stoic. Strong.

"CORD! STOP!" Nixie pleaded.

"LOOK AWAY, NIX!" Cordelia smirked at me—her eyes wild.

"What did you think would happen, Nixie?" One of the other mermaids asked. "How did you think this would end?"

"I... I just wanted you protect Lady Fausta!" she cried. "Not try to kill one of our own!"

"You're naïve." Cordelia said, taking a break from hitting me to look down on Nixie. "Anisha has been making the wrong move to years now. She needs to be taken cared of. This is what Lady Fausta would want."

"You're wrong!" Nixie approached so that she stood next to my head.

But in the meantime, I noticed Fausta's door crack open. Quietly, Raff slipped out, holding his breath and shaking a small object in his hands. I didn't need much more than that do figure out what Raff wanted.

With everyone still distracted by the quarrel, I snapped my fingers, draining the water from the hall almost instantly. The shock loosened the grip the mermaids had on my staff. I pressed the button to retract it, and flipped up on my legs before releasing my staff once more and knocking out Cordelia's partners. She tried to come after me again, but Raff jumped in, pushing her trident against her neck but not piercing it.

"Rafferty," she scowled, taking a step back. "Of course. I should have known you'd help this traitor."

"The only traitor is you." Raff said before turning to me and smiling. "She's awake."