Chapter One Hundred Twenty-Six: The Forest of Reflection

Samara

It's so hot! I thought, miserably. It took us two days to finally reach the edge of the Pastel Desert. I thought the heat would subside as we walked farther from the barren region, but that could not be further from the truth. Severely wishing for a scrunchy, I managed to rip the bottom of my shirt to make a ribbon-like tie to put my long hair into a loose ponytail as we walked.

I was currently holding our backpack—insisting that we take turns with the baggage. I thought Aryan would complain more about it as we entered a new terrain, but surprisingly, he didn't voice his displeasure. And unfortunately, the temperature didn't waver just because we entered a forest. Even the shade here was blazing. Despite that, I managed to admire the scenery. The trees were tan, enormous, and thick palm trees, but they stuck together like bundles at the base and then sprouted separately the higher they rose towards the sky. There were pools of water of various sizes scattered throughout the entirety of the woods, and instead of dirt, there was sand from the Pastel Desert. It was colorful and soft in texture, but we didn't have to walk on it for long because someone had taken the time to make cobblestone pathways throughout the entire woods. It was amazing to see so many ways through the forest, but as usual, Aryan seemed to know where he was going.

"Is this really a part of the Pastel Desert?" I wondered aloud, my eyes landing on Aryan's back. His shirt was stuck to his body has beads of sweat dripped down his neck.

So, a dragon can get hot too. I thought, amused.

"Sort of," Aryan replied, taking his shirt off. "This is the Forest of Reflection. Named so for all the watering holes."

I wanted to acknowledge his words, but all I could focus on was his bare back. I frowned, sad to see the black and blue marks from our most recent battle. My hand inched towards him, and before I could stop myself, I said, "Your body looks better when it's not battered with bruises."

Aryan paused, just enough for me to pull my hand back. I stopped next to one of the pools, forcing him to stop beside me. "Samara!" he feigned shock. "You're so bold, paying such attention to my body." Aryan wore an extraordinarily playful look in his eyes as he revealed those dimples I loved so much.

Even still, his reaction was not what I anticipated, and I couldn't help but feel the blush rush to my cheeks. "O-of course not..." I whispered, embarrassed and yet, I didn't dare look away from him. This expression on his handsome face was a rarity, after all.

"Oh, really?" Aryan raised a brow at me, coming so close I had to look up at him and those amber eyes. "Hmm..." he placed his face inches away from mine. "It's not good to lie, you know. Don't forget, I can feel what you feel."

Right... I thought, turning my back towards him as a sudden dejection overcame me. It's not like Aryan will ever truly feel as I do. He's merely mimicking my emotions. He's not reciprocating them, right?

I sighed, staring at the water below me—my reflection mocking me as it wavered.

"Hey..." Aryan started, sounding almost apologetic. "Hey..." he tried again, this time with a mischievous twist.

I hardly had a moment to look at him, let alone respond, before I felt Aryan's arms wrap around me as he thrusted us into the water. The coolness of the water against my hot skin was striking. "Aryan!" I half-yelled, half-laughed in shock. "What was that for!?"

The watering hole was deeper than I anticipated. I couldn't feel the bottom against my feet, but it didn't matter. Aryan kept us afloat.

"You weren't paying attention." He smirked, holding me just a little bit tighter when he spoke.

"Oh," I said, eyebrows raised. "Sor—"

Before I could finish, we heard movement from within the Forest of Reflection. We shifted a little lower in the water. Aryan still held me close, blocking my face from the people that were coming from the direction we were headed in.

Despite his efforts, I still poked my eyes over his shoulder to spot a group of four. Three young men and a lady that seemed on their way to having a good time. The twenty-something year old woman was holding a picnic basket, basking in the glory of these men's attention as they laughed aloud. After a moment, they settled down just as one of the men asked, "Do you really think that cursed goddess can bring back our deities?"

"Don't you?" the woman batted her eyelashes like she was speaking the obvious. "I mean, there's gotta be some truth to it, right? After all, why would Lord Silas let her anywhere near Sky Forest?"

"Maybe he didn't." Said the man that was holding the woman's hand. "He could have been tricked. I mean, it's a fact that she killed the god of victory. VICTORY, you guys. Doesn't that make her more monster than savior? If I was Lord Callum, I wouldn't let that cursed goddess anywhere near Lady Brisa's resting site."

"You know, you may have a point," replied the red head that walked behind them. "She's supposed to be this formidable woman. Even Lord Soren hasn't been able to capture her. Just look at how she burned down that goat Jauni settlement in Ash Valley. Shameful."

My eyebrows scrunched at that. I never burned down Ash Valley. I thought, distressed. Did I?

They continued to speak as they passed by us, not seeming to notice. But Aryan covered my ears—his amber eyes glowing as he said, "Don't listen to that ignorance."

I smiled softly, appreciating my familiar all over again. I pulled his hands back down into the water. "It's ok." I told him, wondering if he was thinking about what I told him the other day about my past. "We should get going."

As we were getting out of the water, it felt like someone was watching me. I gazed around my surroundings but saw no one. Not even the group of gossiping passersby. A shiver went down my spine, and I couldn't quite tell if it was because of this eerie feeling or the wind that blew against my now soaked clothes.

"Something wrong?" Aryan asked, seeming to look around as well.

"No," I shook my head, trying not to stare at his abs. The latter of which was making me forget all about this strange sensation. 

He took the wet bag off me as he stared with skepticism—that playful façade gone now. "Let's get out of here. We don't need anyone figuring out who we are just yet."

"Agreed." I nodded. I tried to stay focused, but suddenly, my head was throbbing.