Chapter Fifty-Seven: Squabble

Soren

As I sat on my throne, I couldn't stop tapping my foot. I was growing impatient.

How dare Seraphina deny Nolan justice. How could she just allow that creature to scurry off? To let her wander Arcanum until she killed another one of my brothers. And Taja...

I gritted my teeth at the thought of that witch. She's just as traitorous as Seraphina. A plan? I scoffed, recalling how Taja said she believed in Seraphina's will just before she froze me in Arctic Springs. Yeah, a plan to destroy our pantheon!

Before I could recall anymore ill-will towards me, Andesite and Basalt charged forward into my court.

"Sire," Andesite started towards me—his rough gray and white-spotted exterior awkwardly jutting about as he bowed. "We have received news of the Cursed One."

"Well?" I raised an eyebrow, anxious. "Out with it."

"It seems we lost Aryan and the girl." Basalt picked up where Andesite left off.

I narrowed my gaze towards them. "I don't understand." I spoke slowly, rising from my throne to circle the pair from my Mineral Guard. "How?"

My halflings looked to each other nervously, but Andesite proceeded before their silence irked me. "It seems they escaped our forces."

"And why did your team not follow?" I raised my hand, ready to return them to the earth should they disappoint me further.

"We could not, sire." Basalt replied quickly, eyeing my hand with trepidation. "They've entered into the Dark Woods."

I lowered my hand, intrigued. "The Dark Woods? It's impossible to navigate in there without..." I tsked, scowling at no one in particular. "...Zenaida. Of course."

I walked over the large oval mirror on the wall. I swiped my hand through the air as I summoned my fellow god. "Colton," I demanded. "Colton, answer me."

After a brief second, Colton's white eyes stared at me through the silver mirror. "Soren," he said, plainly. "Are you planning another council meeting?"

"No," I shook my head, taken off-guard by his question. "Why would you think that?"

"Why else would you have reason to call?" Colton briefly looked away and nodded to someone I could not see.

"It's about the curse." I began, ignoring his blatancy. "I've heard that this Samara will be heading towards Willow. I wanted to warn you." I paused, gritted my teeth before saying, "No one else's fate should end like Nolan's."

"Noted." Colton nodded, his pale eyes seeming to look everywhere all at once. "Is there anything else? I have things to attend to."

I glowered slightly at the god of darkness. "Yes, I'll be making my way towards Willow to capture the girl myself. I will also—"

"That's not necessary." Colton interrupted. "I'll take care of this Samara."

I raised an eyebrow at his surprising statement. "It would be better for me to handle this situation, Colton. Besides, I wouldn't want to impose any demands of you."

I felt my shoulders stiffen as his dark irises shifted—his gaze directly focused on me now. "All you do is make demands of us all, Soren." His tone was even, but his implication was brazen. "And now, I'll make one for you. Do not step foot in my dominion, or you'll regret it."

I leered openly at his threat. "Oh, I see. You've been talking to Kai, haven't you? He's convinced you that they're in there, hasn't he!?" I shouted, furious.

Colton seemed annoyed but his voice showed no sign of it. "I've heard Kai's side of things, and I've decided to determine what this mortal goddess is capable of myself."

"Mortal goddess? You actually dare to give that husk a title?" I scoffed. "Kai must have gotten into your head good." He seemed unfazed so I continued. "Listen, Colton, I'm only trying to do what's best for us. At this rate, can you say the same for Kai?"

This time the annoyance in Colton's tone was clear. "You're being juvenile, Soren. Just because Kai disagrees with you, doesn't mean he's wrong. Besides, it wasn't long ago that you readily seeked out his counsel."

"So, you are siding with him!" I accused.

"It's no wonder that Neri didn't pick a fight with you sooner." He said, my eyes growing wide and my temper beginning to fully emerge.

"Careful, Colton."

"No." he said, his Spanish accent thickening dangerously. "You should be the one that's careful." My throne room dimmed—the natural light slowly being snuffed out by Colton's darkness. "I have no plans to be in the middle of your squabble with Kai, but I will come to my own conclusions. As Samara is coming into my dominion, I expect you to steer clear."

I curled my fist, but the shadows that continued to darken the room left me feeling suffocated. After a moment, I let out a sigh and gave into Colton's demand. "Fine, but you will update me immediately should the curse be enacted again."

Colton didn't say another word as the light reentered my chambers and he hung up.