Chapter Sixty-Four: Milo's Treehouse

Aryan

Great... I thought, my annoyance beginning to rise. Just what we need, another stranger to follow blindly. I mean, for the love of Seraphina, does this woman have an ounce of distrust in her body?

Mind you, she hasn't exactly been wrong... yet. But luck can change. Though... she can control luck, sort of. So, maybe—

No! No! No! I scolded internally. Someone has to be the sane one around here. Just because a pink firefly smiles and beckons, doesn't mean she has to run to him with open arms.

I watched as Milo led the way to his home and couldn't help but notice how truly mystified Samara was in our new surroundings. It was... admittedly... cute. The way her eyes popped out of her head in awe. The way she tried to hide her smile at every branch swaying in the wind. Even the slight twitch of her fingertips as she reached for a firefly that was hovering near her was almost endearing.

"Here we are!" Milo said as his hands gestured in a ta-da motion to a cluster of very tall willow trees.

I raised an eyebrow as I muttered, "So, we each take a limb?"

Samara's jade eyes widened at me as she sheepishly glanced at Milo. "Your home seems lovely."

"Thanks!" The firefly Janus said, not missing a beat. "It's roomier than it looks. I can't wait for you to see, Samara. Grouchy pants over there is invited too." Milo smirked down at me before whispering, "Or would you rather risk your chances with a Creeper? They like to wander sometimes."

"I'll pass, thanks." I sneered.

"Probably for the best." Milo said, shaking his shoulders like he had an itch on his back. "Nasty creatures those Creepers." As his face scrunched up in distaste, his wings came through the slits on the back of his shirt, and he floated up, reaching for something hidden by the branches.

"Yeah," I nearly laughed. "Tell us about it."

I glanced over at Samara to find her entranced by this new Janus. I bit my tongue from laughing at her. She really is such a newbie.

So, I leaned over and whispered. "He's a firefly Janus."

She suddenly stiffened as I felt a moment of anxiousness come off her. "That's... amazing. He's quite charming, huh?"

I shrugged, disregarding her strange reaction. "If you like pink, glowing bugs."

She chortled, covering her mouth as she stared up at me, amused. "Apparently, Zenaida did."

In another moment, Milo came back down, dragging along with him a rope ladder. "Your chariot, milady." The Janus grinned warmly at her before zipping through the air and into the tree branches ahead.

Samara smiled at him, joy coming off her in short bursts. "Thank you, Milo." As she climbed the ladder, she said, "This seems oddly exciting."

I followed behind her, scoffing at her enthusiasm. "Climbing a ladder is exciting to you?"

She peered over her shoulder, gazing around the dark before looking at me and taking the next step. "Today it is."

I chuckled, shaking my head as I tried my best to keep the ladder steady for her as she continued. "Guess we'll find out."

As I made it to the top and stood on a pitch-black platform, Milo retracted his wings and asked, "Aryan, would you mind pulling the ladder back up. Please and thank you."

With surprisingly little objection, I did as was requested. When the ladder was jumbled in my arms, only then did a swarm of fireflies light up the tree. They acted like tiny lanterns as they illuminated the edges of the circular platform and the entrance of the treehouse in front of us.