Chapter Fifteen: Somewhere Nice

Aryan

I waited a good minute before I walked into the hut with Samara. Something about what she did to Alois left an annoyingly familiar impression on me. I know there's a word for what she did... What the hell is it?

Still thinking about it, I walked into the now lit hut. The torches around the room were all fired up, and I could see that Samara already found the stairs to the balcony on the second level. I climbed the stairs to find her leaning against the railing and looking up at the very clear stars.

Samara had her back to me as she said, "I wasn't sure if you were going to come in."

"And sleep outside? No thanks." I stood beside her just in time to catch a faint smile before she closed her eyes.

"Go ahead." She whispered.

"Ok... I'll bite." I shrugged, keeping a careful eye on her. "Go ahead and what?"

"You want to ask about what I did to Alois."

I snickered, but not on purpose. I mean, of course, I wanted to ask, but I didn't even know how to wor—

SPELLED! She spelled him! That's it! Gods, that was going to drive me crazy.

"What, are you a mind reader too?" I joked.

"Not that I know of."

I could feel my brows pull together as I saw how serious she was being right now. "Ok, then..." I started, and before I knew it, I was listing everything I knew about her. "So, you've never been to Arcanum before, you're 'good with plants,' can see in the dark, magically knew I needed help, make rain that can stop Fairy fire, I think, and now, you can spell people. Is there anything else I should know?"

"Probably." Her sincerity was starting to grow on me a little.

"Do you want to elaborate, already, or are you going to make me guess?"

Samara just shook her head, frowning.

I sighed before saying, "Well, at least you're honest." I paused, thinking. "Is that how you got Ewan to help you?"

"What?" she seemed confused.

"Ewan? You know, cowardly serpent Janus. Did you spell him to help you?"

"You keep using that word." She started, turning her big green eyes on me. "I'm not sure what you mean. I simply asked him."

I couldn't help but laugh then. "Yeah, no. I'll bet my life that you spelled him. You really don't know what that is, but you can do it?" she shook her head. "Alright then... here's the short version. To spell a person means that you use your words to make someone do whatever you want—whether they want to or not."

That shame came across her face once again before she nodded. "Then, yes, I spelled Ewan." She sighed. "I felt awful doing it. I never want to use it, if I can help it. To take away a person's free will... it's just wrong, but... I didn't have much of choice. I saw what Soren was going to do to you. I saw how he was going to turn you into stone, and... I just knew I had to get to you before that happened."

"Why?"

"Why did I have to save you?" I nodded. "I don't know. You must be important, I guess."

I snorted. Important? Doubtful.

After a moment of silence, I finally asked, "Have you ever spelled me? Since meeting me, that is."

"No," she said adamantly, her black hair shaking around her shoulders. "I would never."