Part Five- Chapter Fifty-Two: Pinwheel of Light

Samara

The familiar scratchy sand of the Dreamscape awoke me. I groaned, wiping the debris off my body as I stood. Unlike the other times I've been to the Dreamscape, I felt off. A bit nauseous, truthfully. Was it because of what happened in the World Below? Did being conscious while the goddesses' used me as a human puppet leave a bad taste in my mouth?

I didn't have time to think about it though. From the corner of my eye, I could see the flitting remains of a dress hurrying away. Wait a second... I thought confused, following the person slowly across the bridge. I thought that only Kai and I could use the Dreamscape. Who is that lady?

I stopped just before continuing further down the bridge. The last time I went deeper into the Dreamscape, I dreamwalked into Soren's mind. I hesitated, my hand reaching my throat. I could still vividly recall the encounter. Would I have a similar experience if I go down there again? I released a shaky breath and took a step, and then another, until I was practically running after this lady. I could barely see her in the distance. I ran past the different paths, ignoring the low whispers coming from the royal blue fog. I just needed to meet this woman. Everything in my body was urging me to do so. Like I would perish if I didn't see her.

It felt like the Dreamscape went on forever, but eventually, the dividing paths dwindled until there was only one trail to follow. In a way, it reminded me of where I started—where I normally meet Kai. But Kai was not at the end of this bridge.

Instead, I was met with a large cherry blossom tree. The petals slowly fell all over the golden platform, revealing small persimmons throughout its branches. As I took a step towards it, the woman I was chasing came around the back of the tree. She caught a cherry blossom in her delicate sandy tan palm. She smiled at it before glancing at me with her big green eyes. She placed the flower behind her ear. It was striking against her long, black hair. Everything about this woman was enchanting. Not to mention, her dress was stunning. Starting at her collarbone, the dress clung smoothly to her chest and torso—the azure fabric was made even more gorgeous by the black strips of leather that intricately outlined her form. That dark blue splayed out throughout the flowy skirt of the gown. As it reached the ground, the azure faded to an arctic blue. Her every step towards me looked like she was gliding. Even her demeanor was enchanting. Calming. Overwhelmingly so. I thought only Kai could make people feel that way. But the most beguiling thing about her was her striking resemblance... to me.

"Azlin?" I asked, my brows pulled together tightly. "But... how are you—"

"We haven't much time, Samara." The goddess started. "I reached out to Seraphina when you were in the World Below. I asked her to let me meet you—to open a line of communication. As you move farther from Arctic Springs, I will be unable to communicate with you like this. So, please, hear me out, will you?"

I nodded, coming face-to-face with the deity who was supposed to be my double. Admittedly, I could see the resemblance. We were very similar. Except I was a little taller than her, but even still, I knew I couldn't hold a candle to her. I realized in that moment, just how much of an imitation I was. Did previous incarnations of the curse resemble one of the goddesses too?

It was just too surreal to see Azlin, and even more so, that she went to such extreme measures just to talk to me. What could she possibly want?

Azlin reached up to the nearest branch and grabbed a persimmon. She held it lovingly as she rubbed it between her palms. "I believe I already know, but how is Kai?" she asked sheepishly.

I thought of him and smiled. "He's a truly kind person, but... I can see he's hurting. Even when he tries to brush it off."

"I know." She gazed at the persimmon before dropping it to the ground. It didn't smash on the bridge like I thought it might. Instead, it disappeared. Before I had time to consider where it had run off to, Azlin grasped my hands urgently. The cherry blossom in her hair flitted to the ground as my heart nearly jumped out of my chest.

"If you continue down this path, you will die." Her voice still managed to be smooth and soothing despite her harsh words. "Are you sure this is what you want? I know you told Seraphina that you would do this, but—"

Now it was my turn to cut her off as I gently squeezed her hands. "If I don't do this, all of you stay dead." I swallowed a thick lump in my throat as I tried to push back my tears. "I'm not much of anything compared to all of you. Arcanum needs the goddesses to return. There's not much else to think about, really."

She seemed to be considering me then. Slowly, she nodded and released me—glancing towards somewhere I couldn't see. "You'll need to journey to each of our resting sites. Only the gods and a loyal few know where we are hidden. But be sure to leave me last, sweet Samara. I shall guide you on your quest. But be warned," Azlin's emerald eyes pierced my soulless being. "The road ahead will be treacherous, but..." Her smile made me feel like nothing in the world could go wrong. "Enjoy all of it."

Before I could question her, I could feel myself being pulled away. I could vaguely hear Aryan calling me in the distance. No. I thought, reaching for Azlin, but not quite able to touch her. Wait. Not yet. Please!

"It's ok." Azlin reassured me. "We will meet again someday soon. For now, I will be your pinwheel of light in the dark."