Chapter Forty-Seven: Handmaidens

Samara

Between last night's much needed heart-to-heart and our morning pick-me-up of persimmons, I felt like Aryan and I could do just about anything. Which made travelling the rest of First Mountain rather smooth. Especially by comparison to some of our other travel ventures.

I was really shocked that we hadn't run into Soren's soldiers, or even, Nolan's loyal followers. Maybe my good luck powers rubbed off on us? Whatever the reason, I was thankful for the smooth transition, and even more thankful that I haven't been hampered down by a vision. It's been almost two weeks since the last one. I wonder if I'll be able to break my record.

Watching the mountain change from winter to spring was mystifying. The snow glittered against the dark, empty branches of the trees until we began approaching fresh spring buds slowly blossoming everywhere. Even the animals changed with the seasons.

We kept walking well into the afternoon before Aryan slowed, leaning against a large boulder. He glanced at me, hid that teeny-tiny smile of his, and looked out towards the flat path ahead. "Let's take a quick break."

"Alright," I agreed, sitting on the ground beside Aryan.

I glanced towards where he was looking and was surprised by how drastic the contrast was. Granted, travelling across First Mountain should have been like an inoculation for this, but at least on the mountain, the change was gradual and seamless. This ahead of me was like two pieces of earth photoshopped together. The light brown dirt with its splattering of grass was suddenly confronted by black rock and transparently white blocks of ice that went everywhere but on the walking path. Even the sky was beginning to get cloudy, blocking the sun.

"Whoa," I blinked, thinking I was seeing things incorrectly. "That's different."

"That—" Aryan said pointedly. "—is Arctic Springs. Just a little further and we should make it to Seraphina's temple."

"Then what are we waiting for?" I grinned, excited and terrified at the idea of being so close to answers.

He chuckled at me. "I didn't know you knew how to be impatient?"

I smirked, loving Aryan's playful side. "Well, you know," I shrugged. "I'm a goddess, not a saint."

"You speak the truth." He said, revealing a rare dimple as he extended a hand to help me up. I grabbed it and Aryan lifted me off the ground—our bodies bumping against each other thanks to his strong pull. He steadied me by putting his free hand on my elbow.

I gazed into his amber eyes, feeling something pleasant and warm in my heart. After a moment, I realized we hadn't moved in what must have been the longest minute known to mankind. Hesitantly, I began to pull away. Smiling through my embarrassment as I charged ahead.

Just before I focused on the path, I realized Aryan had this smug look on his face, and for a moment, I wondered what he was thinking. Did he feel what I just did? I wish I could feel your emotions sometimes. I pouted, finding my desire to understand and connect with him growing every day. Maybe one day, but for now, meeting Seraphina will have to do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arctic Springs was somehow cold enough to have an icy valley, but warm enough to take my coat off. It also smelled like rain but didn't look like it would. Despite it being cloudy, the sky had a vibrancy about it. This place was a whirlwind of contradictions. Like it was trying to be everything at once. Funny enough, I found it a fitting environment for the goddess of all creation.