Chapter One Hundred Thirty-Two: Confirmed

Samara

My hands clutched at air as I groaned awake. I tried to sit up but suddenly felt like I was going to fall. Instantly, a pair of warm hands steadied me, clutching at my thighs as I wrapped my hands around their neck.

"You're finally up." Aryan's gentle tone whispered near my ear. His head turned, giving me a very up close and personal view of his vibrant amber eyes.

Heat rushed to my cheeks as I nodded. "Sorry."

"Nothing to be apologetic about." He shrugged, adjusting me against his back. "You saved us, after all."

"I'm not sure throwing us off a cliff counts as saving." I chuckled, awkwardly.

He smirked, shrugging against me. "Honestly, I get that. But still, we managed to get away. So, I guess it's alright."

"Yes, that's true enough." I agreed, finally looking forward to find a red ponytail swishing nearby in front of me and emerald orbs glancing back and forth, shyly. "Ailia?"

She seemed embarrassed for some reason as she finally turned all the way around to look at me, walking backwards as she did. "It's good to see you again, Mi—Samara!"

I tapped my fingers gently on Aryan's shoulder, gesturing to put me down. He hesitated before finally stopping to let me go.

"It's good to see you too, but... how did you come about travelling with us? I feel like I missed something." I smiled, walking beside her.

"Oh," she said, leading the way. "Well, I found you both in the river. Besides that, there's no way I could ever forgot either of you." She grinned, brightly. "Not after all the help you've given Ethan and me."

"Where is Ethan?" I wondered, looking along the sandy path we were on, but not seeing anyone else around.

Ailia smiled, sweetly as she thought of Ethan. "He's in Zephyr, working. We both share shifts at the local pub."

"I'm so happy to hear that relocating has been so successful for you." I beamed. "But..."

"What is it?" she wondered.

I recalled my vision of her. And while I wasn't sure what was going on, I could feel something was terribly off. "Is everything really ok?"

Ailia averted her gaze before saying, "Of course. Why would you think otherwise?"

I glanced over at Aryan—whose leer was full of suspicion.

I wanted to tell her about my vision, but nothing was confirmed. It seemed wildly irresponsible somehow to make any sort of accusation, but seeing as Aryan also thinks something is off, I couldn't dismiss my own apprehension so easily.

"No reason." I started. "I'm grateful tha—"

My head spun. The pain struck me harder than it ever had before. As if someone had slammed something on both sides of my skull. My heart skipped a beat as I tried not to panic. I froze, watching the sky pass me by.

I felt cold save for Aryan's familiar warmth against me. However, that comfort drifted away thrusting me from a dark crevice into an alleyway on the side of a sandy tan building. It was obscured only by a ripped cloth that seemed to be used as an entrance between the two buildings. Within the confines of the alley a scuffle ensued. There were two men fighting. One was throwing punches, while the other was blocking, using his arms to try and push away the attacker.

After several minutes, the black-haired attacker punched his prey in the stomach so hard the other guy finally crumbled to the ground—a swollen eye and blood running from his lips as souvenirs of their brawl.

"You have two days, Ethan." The man told the goat Janus. "Otherwise, you won't be the one I deal with next time."

"Leave her out of this!" he yelled, trying to stand before being easily knocked over again.

"Then you better get it done."

The stranger walked away, leaving Ethan a crumpled mess on the cheerfully bright sand below. His brow was furrowed and his fist clenched sand. The young man I remembered before would have been sobbing by now, but while it looked like he wanted to shed a tear, he managed to keep it in. Ethan leaned his head against the wall, stress devouring his features. "I'm sorry, Ailia." Was all he said before wiping the blood from his chin and rising.

Quickly, I was pulled away, back on the sandy path. Back in front of Ailia's worried gaze, and back in the consoling warmth that was Aryan's embrace. I glanced between the two before settling on the fairy.

It seems my hunch was correct. I thought, sadly. And yet, I couldn't bring it up.

"Samara!" Ailia yelped. "What just happened? Are you ok!?"

I glanced up, leaning my head against Aryan's steady shoulder. His keen amber gaze seemed to know what I was going to say, and before I could speak, Aryan squeezed my hand, giving me a moment of assurance.

"I'm fine." I lied. "This is just something that happens every once in a while."

"Well, if you're sure..." she seemed uncertain. "We're almost to Zephyr. Think you can walk?"

I smiled, squeezing Aryan's hand back. "I can manage."