Chapter Sixty-Eight: The God of Darkness

Samara

Aryan laughed so hard that I nearly took it personally.

            "Y-y-you're f-fa—" he was practically toppling over himself now. "I can't believe that mask marked up your face so much. You look like a racoon!"

            I pouted, gently touching my face as I looked at the marks left over from last night's festivities. "I was so tired, I slept with it on." I announced, hiding my face and looking away as my familiar chuckled on.

            "Oh, come on now." Aryan's footsteps approached. His hands easily overtaking my wrists as he pulled my hands down. "Really." He bit his tongue from laughing further. "It's not that bad."

            Forgetting his amusement for a moment, I stared down at his hands that were still on my wrists. I felt my brows pull together curiously. "Aryan—" I started, but then, changed my mind.

            Is it me, or... Does Aryan reach for me more now?

            I was never really cognizant of it before, but after last night... I feel like something shifted.

            "There you go just saying my name again. You know," he smirked, teasingly. "I think you just like to say it."

            "SPEACIAL DE— Oh, my." Milo grinned mischievously. "Special delivery, indeed. You know, if you two are into some kinky stuff, you just gotta let a Janus know so I can make myself scarce."

            "What?" I asked, surprised as I pulled away from Aryan. "No. It's—"

            "Gods, Milo." Aryan said annoyed as he folded his arms across his chest. "I knew you were a pervert."

            "Me?" he pointed a finger at himself as he juggled a large box with his free arm. "Uh, uh, Mister. I'm not the one that's hovering over the lady like you're about to take her."

            Feeling suddenly hot and uncomfortable, I immediately tried to change the subject before Aryan threw Milo off the platform. "Wh-what's in the box?"

            "Ah!" Milo came fully into the room and placed the dark blue box on the bed beside me. "Just a little something, something for The Grand Gala tonight."

            "For me?" I raised an eyebrow, uncertain.

            "Duh!" he grinned. "I picked out a little something for your 'partner' too. Go ahead, open it!"

            I ignored his side commentary and gently unwrapped the white ribbon. I gasped lightly and smiled as my fingers gently caressed the smooth fabric of the ivory sleeveless dress from yesterday. "Milo, you didn't have to do this."

            "Psshh," he dismissed my words with a wave of his hand. "I couldn't possible let Lady Zen go to the Gala underdressed."

            "She's not Zenaida." Aryan said, irritated. I smiled softly at him, knowing he felt my disappointment at being called by another goddess's name.

            "I know." Milo replied nonchalantly—taking me by surprise. He smirked playfully between us. "Lady Zen is a lot livelier. No offense, Samara, but you're really nothing like the goddess of light. Not that it's a bad thing. You're just... you."

            Before I realized what I was doing, I got up and hugged Milo tightly. I felt him stiffen in my arms before he awkwardly patted my back. "Thank you."

            "For what, silly goddess?" he laughed a bit.

            "For seeing me." I whispered.