Chapter Nineteen: Fireside Chat

Aryan

It didn't take a genius to notice that Samara looked like crap. Even though we had rested up at Quintessence before the welcome wagon showed up, it was pretty obvious that those visions took a lot out of her. To her credit though, she has yet to complain. I guess, in a way, that's kind of admirable.

We haven't said more than a few words to each other since she came out of her vision, and now, the sun was starting to set. I looked over at her, watching as she took in our surroundings. She had this little smirk on her face like she actually enjoyed being on the run. She might just be crazy, but I guess you'd sort of have to be to take everything that's happened so far in stride.

"This way," I said as I grabbed Samara's wrist and led her off the path and deeper into the forest. "We should make camp for the night before it gets too dark."

The best and worst part of the Thieves' Forest is how much vegetation is in the area. While it's great for hiding, it also disguises our enemies too. But I don't feel anyone coming, so we should be good for tonight.

"Ok," she agreed, allowing me to guide her. After a moment, she called me, "Aryan?"

"Yeah?" I pushed a branch of sharp leaves out of our way as I answered.

"Are we close to Ash Valley yet?"

"Closer than before." From the corner of my eye, I saw the briefest frown. I gave a little sigh. "We're about a day and a half away. If we rest up tonight, leave by dawn, and walk all night, we might be able to make it there before sunset the following day. That's within your time frame, right?"

That joyful smile filled her eyes again. "Yes." She nodded.

"Then, I guess we better setup camp." I stopped in a cozy little clearing as I plopped my backpack on the ground. "We need to find some firewood. And these rocks and logs will work just fine for sitting. Can you look around for some wood, so I can start the fire?"

"Sure thing." She said, putting her bag next to mine before she started to move out of the clearing.

For some reason, watching her get out of my line of vision left me feeling... weird. "Wait."

Samara stopped, confusion present as she looked at me. "Is something the matter?"

"Uh... never mind. Just... don't take too long. You never know where Soren's men can be."

She looked a bit amused before she turned away from me. "Don't worry, I won't be long."

I'm not worried... I shoved the thoughts away as I took out a few supplies from our bags. I had just managed to take out the food, water, and blankets when Samara came back hauling a bunch of broken branches precariously in her arms.

"You got that?" I bit back laughter as I watched her balancing act.

"Mhm... Yes..."

I chuckled a bit. "Just pile some of it up and I'll light the fire in a second."

I returned to putting back the unnecessary things in the bag. But when I turned around, Samara was blowing out the flame in her hand. The fire was flawlessly lit in front of her. I was surprised. You could almost say really surprised. I mean, fire too! Come on. But... I wasn't too terribly shocked. She has already proven to be very capable. Just another thing to add to the list.

Well, I guess I won't need to think twice about you when we part ways.

I sat on the rock that was next to the log she plopped herself on. The fire was nice and warm. It briefly reminded me of home. It was always hot there.