Chapter Sixty-Nine: Midnight

Aryan

I turn my back for a minute, and this woman has already managed to find someone else to dance with. I squinted, trying to tell who she was with, but there were too many people gathering around the pair to get a decent look.

Without hesitation, I got out of line and joined the crowd. Samara's feelings were bouncing around between joy, determination, and longing. It was almost dizzying.

Wait, who the hell is she longing for!?

Irritated, I pushed my way to the front of the crowd. The people were murmuring in disbelief. "Could it really be?"

"Is she the one?"

"She must be! Look at the lanterns brighten. Watch how even the shadows are dancing." Someone mentioned, making me look at our surroundings. "Who else could make that happen but our deities."

True to this stranger's word, the shadows and light seemed to hum with small movements. Like two hearts beating for one another—each playing off the other.

Feeling momentarily dejected, I watch as Samara twirled around elegantly. The pair were whispering low to each other. He gave a soft smile, and never took his gaze off hers. The song was beginning to slow and so were they. The man twirled her one last time, and they both gave a low bow at the end of the song. The crowd clapped enthusiastically, but instead, I rushed over just as the two removed their matching masks.

I stared at the white-eyed deity suspiciously. "Colton," I nodded, my body instinctively blocking Samara's.

The god of darkness observed me cautiously. Meanwhile, my own goddess was peeking over my shoulder—peek-a-boo style.

"Aryan," he nodded back. "I've heard you'd been accompanying this mortal goddess for a while now. Surprising."

I scoffed. "Why's that?"

I could see his black irises darting over in Samara's direction before he glanced back at me. Colton didn't say much, but he didn't need to. Admittedly, I found him a bit intimidating. I always considered him one of the more powerful gods due to his ability to control the darkness—of which he had an endless supply of regardless of if it was day or not. But if push came to shove, I would shove hard before I grabbed Samara and we got the hell out of Willow.

"You seemed very loyal to Neri. I imagine it was difficult for you to move on from her." He commented softly as if it was some big secret.

"I don't see how any of that is your business." I glowered before I felt a pang of curiosity flow through Samara.

"It's not." Colton said calmly—not even batting an eyelash at my scolding tone. Then, he looked back at Samara before saying. "Tonight. Midnight. Milo will show you the way."

"Of course." Samara side stepped me and put a hand out towards the god of darkness. "We'll see you then." She smiled.

Colton hesitated but quickly shook Samara's hand, nodding before he disappeared through the crowd.

I turned quickly on Samara. "And what in the World Below is supposed to be happening at midnight?"

Samara began tying her mask back on her face as she said, "Colton is going to give me his decision."

"Decision?" I raised an eyebrow, watching her fix her hair and pat the skirt of that asymmetrical dress of hers.

"I told him I could return Zenaida, but only if I had access to her body." She spoke quietly.

That was probably for the best. The people were already revering her as their deity reincarnated. Probably shouldn't let any of them overhear the possibility of Samara bringing Zenaida back. Not that I have a clue how the hell she's supposed to do it.