Chapter Fifty: The World Below

Samara

I couldn't believe how quickly the morning came. It was like the day was rushing to greet us—anticipating our meeting with the goddess of all creation.

Niobe gave Aryan and me much simpler clothes than I expected to change into. We were both wearing a light jacket with a t-shirt underneath, cargo pants, and boots. When I questioned her about it, she said that we would be travelling immediately after our meeting. It seems Seraphina will not entertain us a second night. In a way, I was relieved. I've been looking for answers for so long now, that I don't know if I'd be good company after the fact.

At the doorway stood Niobe, Ryo, and Taja. Niobe looked ready to go while Ryo and Taja each held a sack so big that Aryan and I would look like mountain climbers carrying them.

"Here you are, Lady Samara." Ryo said, carefully handing me the bag.

"Thank you." I smiled, finding the bag to be as heavy as it looked.

"There are enough provisions and materials to get you to your next location. There is some money wrapped in a washcloth as well." Taja announced as she gave Aryan his bag.

My familiar's eyes were daggers. "Thanks," he grumbled before adding, "But don't think this makes us even. I'll make sure to pay your kindness back two-fold for my personal icebox."

Taja's eyes widened as she swallowed a lump in her throat. However, she recovered quickly with a tight-lipped smile. "I hope you have safe passage on your journey." The witch looked right into my eyes. Her words struck me somewhere deep.

Somehow, I got the feeling that she meant it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our guide hardly said a word as she led the way to Seraphina. We were barely walking ten minutes when Niobe stopped at some sort of beach. Like most of Arctic Springs, the ground was littered with black rocks and boulders so big you can sit on them. The rocks that lined up against the shore were thinly layered with snow. It made the ice blue water of the lagoon look luminescent.

As we walked into the beach, big, puffy snowflakes fell. I had to stop to take the whole scene in. Will Arcanum ever stop amazing me?

Aryan paused ahead. I could see his mohawk shift a little as he tilted his head. He turned back to look at me, and I was pleased to see his dimples. He reached out his hand before saying, "Let's go."

I grasped it, giving him a nervous and excited squeeze before we caught up to Niobe. She was waiting patiently by the edge of the water and didn't even crack a smile at how slowly the snowflakes floated to the ground.

"Welcome to the World Below." Niobe nodded, extending her hand out to the water.

I felt my face scrunch up, perplexed.

The handmaiden smiled as she said, "Follow me, please." Before I knew what was happening, she began walking into the water. Her blonde hair swished when she tilted her head to say, "Don't worry about holding your breath, just come."

I stared up at Aryan who shrugged at me before taking his first step into the lagoon. I let out a nervous breath and followed. The water was surprisingly warm as we walked deeper and deeper into it. Unconsciously, I held my breath and closed my eyes as I submerged my head in the water. When I opened them, I could see clearly—we were on a hill of sorts that led deeper into the water, and Aryan seemed to be breathing. I couldn't help but recall the time Aryan nearly drowned when passing through the Veil to my home. Goodness... that seems like so long ago now. I reflected, remembering that was when I discovered I could breathe underwater. But this was different. I didn't have to intake the water now like I did then. Something about this lagoon was allowing us to breathe.