fourteen

The end of the week finally came, Chaerin was busy with student council work as an event in school was coming up.

It was currently 6 p.m. in the evening and the sun just set. Chaerin packed up her files and things laying around the student council office.

She waved goodbye to the volunteers and other members who were going to stay some more.

Chaerin got out her phone while walking down the hallway, she texted Jeno, as he was the one who would accompany her home.

He responded that he was already at the gate.

When she arrived at the school gates, she saw Jeno standing and she waved her hand to catch his attention.

"How's the event going?" Jeno asked Chaerin.

"There's still a lot of things that need to be organized," She frowned, thinking about all the work she still needs to do.

The school's anniversary was coming up and a school fair and event will be held in celebration. That's why the student council was swarmed with different kinds of work for the next week or so.

The pair started to walk home talking about mindless topics and ranting about their strict social studies teacher.

Something bothered Chaerin as they were walking, the hairs at the back of her neck stood up and she became rigid.

She took a peek at Jeno and saw his posture stiffen.

Silence enveloped the two, Jeno became hyper-aware of his surroundings as he discreetly scanned the area.

"Jeno," Chaerin whispered under her breath.

She acted as if nothing was wrong as she casually put her hand inside her bag.

Jeno was tense beside her, assessing the situation they were in. Three people were following them at the moment, one loosely at the back and the two across the street on the other sidewalk.

"At the of count three," Jeno said under his breath.

"One, two, three,"

Jeno grabbed Chaerin's hand and started to sprint through the alleyway, making several turns trying to lose the people following them.

"They're on their way," Chaerin said breathlessly.

Jeno looked puzzled for a split second then nodded in understanding while still running through the alleyways.

A shadow of a man was seen at the end of the alleyway and Chaerin tugged Jeno's wrist to go left.

Chaerin's lungs were burning and she couldn't feel her feet anymore, though the adrenaline in her veins was pushing her further.

She was thankful she always attended gym class.

The end of the alleyway this time was filled with night lights as it was leading to the main road, they pushed themselves more, slowly feeling the blur of their vision and the ground shaking beneath them.

As they exited the alleyway, they stopped to catch their breath as they were already on the brink of collapsing.

"There they are!" A familiar voice shouted.

Jeno tugged her wrist and Chaerin almost gave up then and there as she ran for the past 15 minutes.

"What?" Chaerin asked out of breath, glancing at Jeno.

"Let's go they're here already," Jeno said, supporting Chaerin's figure, "Just a little more Chae,"

They jogged a bit more, Chaerin only following Jeno's lead and direction at this point.

A warm hand grabbed Chaerin's as the cool air hit her face. She felt the car seat on her backside and she closed her eyes in relief.

"Drive."

She slowly opened her eyes while catching her breath, brown eyes that were filled with worry were what greeted her.

"You're fine, you're safe," Mark said slowly, "I'm glad you called,"

"You want some water Chae?" Renjun asked concern lining his voice.

Chaerin responded with a small 'yes please', Jeno and her then proceeded to chug bottles of water.

"I'm not exercising for the next two weeks," Chaerin whispered to herself exasperated.

Mark stared at her, it amazed Mark how she can joke in the direst situations.

Mark felt guilt creeping upon him, he felt to blame for why Chaerin was in this situation. She should live her life peacefully and like a normal high school student.

"You can stop staring now," Mark snapped out of his daze and focused back on Chaerin who was raising an eyebrow in his direction. He didn't notice he was still staring.

"Sorry," A blush was creeping up on Mark's cheeks and he quickly reverted his eyes somewhere else.

Chaerin chuckled lowly.

___________________________

exhilarating | mark leegabrielle_010

gabrielle_010