forty five

It's been two days since the accident, and Mark hasn't left Chaerin's side ever since.

Mark became progressively more worried the longer Chaerin stayed unconscious, Doyoung however tried to reassure him that Chaerin's body was just exhausted and needed all the rest it can get.

Doyoung stood by the doorway and watched as Mark was seated by Chaerin's hospital bed. Johnny and Jaehyun then arrived and stood by Doyoung's side.

"Any updates?" Jaehyun asks, peering into the room.

"Chaerin's condition looks much better," Doyoung said with a small smile, "I'm more concerned with Mark, however," he said as his smile dropped.

"He's barely left the room, he hardly touches his food, he looks like he hasn't slept a wink, what are we going to do?" Doyoung continued.

Johnny frowned as he remembered how Mark broke down when he saw Chaerin's condition that day.

"Mark," Jaehyun called out as he entered the room and stood beside him, "You need to take a shower and freshen up, maybe eat something,"

"I'm fine," Mark replied without sparing Jaehyun a glance, his voice slightly hoarse.

"Come on Mark don't be stubborn, you can't take care of her if you don't take care of yourself," Jaehyun told him, and when he didn't get a reply he ushered Doyoung and Johnny to help him.

They had to practically drag him out of the room.

"Kun will look after her while you're gone, don't worry," Doyoung reassured him.

• • •

Mark took a shower and changed his clothes because he knew his hyungs wouldn't let him see Chaerin if he didn't listen to them.

Mark took a seat on his bed and clutched his head with a deep sigh.

When he got the phone call from Jeno, he almost fell to the ground on his knees. He dropped everything as fast as possible so he could go back home.

Not only that, but he felt guilty for ignoring and shunning Chaerin for the past week.

"God I'm so stupid, why did I do that?" He whispered to himself.

"Yeah, you are,"

Mark quickly looked up to the doorway where Johnny was standing.

"When did you get here?" He asked.

Johnny gave a small shrug, "I knocked but you didn't respond,"

Mark's eyebrows burrowed in confusion, he didn't hear anything, but then again, he was too deep in his thoughts.

"Mark, we both know she matters the world to you, why are you afraid to tell her that?" Johnny asks softly as he sat down beside him.

Mark frowned, "What if she doesn't like me back?"

"Can't you see the way her face lights up when she sees you?" Johnny asked with a raised eyebrow, "Is that the only thing that worries you?"

Mark's eyes widened as he looked at Johnny, trying to decipher if he was lying when he told him that, but he found nothing.

"Won't she just be in more danger because of me?" He continued, "What if-what if I hurt her?" Mark asked quietly.

Johnny watched as Mark's expression filled with worry, it already pained him to think that he could hurt Chaerin.

"Mark, listen to me," Johnny grabbed his shoulders, "None of your questions will be answered if you stand around doing nothing, and if you don't do anything, you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Relationships have ups and downs, and you two will work on it together. I have seen what you and Chaerin have, and it's something worth taking the risk for,"

Mark stayed quiet for a few seconds before nodding.

They sat in silence for a while, before Johnny let out a small chuckle which caught Mark's attention.

"What?"

"Nothing, it's just that I never thought the time would come that you would fall in love," Johnny smiled, "You were hellbent on staying away from any of this,"

"Yeah well, my parents weren't very good examples, what was I supposed to think,"

"Mark Lee, the most talented gang member of NCT, falling in love, imagine that," Johnny said teasingly. Mark rolled his eyes in response.

"Thank you, Johnny, you're a big help," Mark said with appreciation.

"Anyti-" Johnny was cut off by an out-of-breath Doyoung barging in the room.

"There's a thing called knocking,"

"It's Chaerin," Doyoung said, making Mark and Johnny stand up quickly, "She's awake."

___________________________

exhilarating | mark leegabrielle_010

gabrielle_010