Challenge

"Actually, I'd like to challenge one more person."

We watched Gally throw the greenie around like a ragdoll for a few minutes. This always happened. Gally would challenge the greenie to fight and the greenie would lose. Always. This time would turn out the same. Thomas coughed as he hit the sand, the particles choking him. No matter what the brown-haired boy would get up and keep going after Gally. Until Gally tripped him making him smack his head on the ground. 

I got a little second-hand embarrassment as everyone 'oohed at the boy. Nonetheless, I cheered for Gally and laughed at the greenie. But in his eyes it looked like his world just shifted. He whispered something under his breath that no one could hear. For a moment I thought he was cursing out Gally but he scrambled up and repeated it. 

"Thomas!" He yelled as if we were supposed to know what that meant. He chuckled to himself at some revelation he had. "I remember my name!" He shouted. "I'm Thomas." A smile formed on my lips as I looked back at Newt. 

He smiled back and leaned down to my ear. "Can I have the beer back?" He whispered. I laughed at him but passed it back to him anyway.

Then, all at once, everyone cheered Thomas's name. We all ran up to him and crowded around him giving him pats on the back. 

"Welcome home, Thomas," Frypan said with a smile showing his surprisingly white teeth. The glade started to feel like home. Either that or I was starting to lose hope that we'd ever get out. Hoping it's the first one. 

Everyone laughed and cheered, throwing sand and their bruised, dirty fists into the air. Welcome home, Thomas. Welcome home. 

For once in my life, I saw Gally actually be nice to the greenie. He shook his hand and told him good job. I walked over to where Gally and the greenie was. 

"Aw look who decided to put on their big boy panties," I said sarcastically. He glared at me. 

"You know what?" I raised an eyebrow playfully. "Yeah, yeah. It's your turn. I haven't fought you before. It's your turn."

"You wanna risk that?" I say snarkily. 

"Me??" He asks offended. "After the Gladers calm down. Deal?" I nodded my head and shook his hand. Newts gonna be pissed. Our hands parted and like nails on a chalkboard, a screech came from the maze. 

A horrible screech. Inhuman. Mechanic. A griever. The hairs on my arms stood up and my heart started to beat quickly, almost painfully. Imagine if one of those came in the glade. We'd all be screwed. 

"What the hell was that?" Greenie- Thomas asked. 

"That, my friend, was a griever," Gally said boldly. Even he was scared of them and if Mr tuff guy could admit it... well that wasn't good. "Don't worry. Your safe here with us. Nothing gets through those walls."

Whenever someone brought up grievers the maze seemed to drop ten degrees. That was the closest we got to winter. 

"All right guy-" Alby started but Gally cut him off.

"Actually I'd like to challenge one more person." I wasn't actually excepting him to be serious about it but I wasn't scared. It was Gally. And I was me. Always underestimated. After this, I won't be. 

Alby looked like he could scream but he kept a straight face. "Yes, Gally?" He spits out.

"Y/N." 

"Yup." I said taking a sip of Gally's drink that I stole from Gally's hands. "Newt, mind holding this real quick?" I asked passing him the blue-tinted mason jar. He looked at me with worry. 

"Are you serious?" He whispered as the gladers spread out around the fighting circle once again. 

"As serious as a griever sting."

"That's not funny."

"It's a little funny."

"Not really."

"Oh well, shuck it then. I'm funny."

"Meh. You have your moments." After that, I shoved him playfully making him laugh. 

"See look I made you laugh," I say as I throw my hands in the air in victory. Before he can protest, which I know he's about to do, I kick off my black boots and run to the sandy pit. I watch as Newt fills in an empty spot, two drinks in his hand. 

My gaze travels around the circle seeing people cheering. For me. And only me. My doubt builds into excitement as Gally and I get into positions. I crack my neck then knuckles as Gally pulls his fists in front of him.

"Scared, she bean?"

"Nope. You?"

"You wish."

Then he ran at me. The world seemed to slow down as I calculated my next move. I dropped my body adding little momentum as I slid to the other side. I watch as gally topples over at the loss of contact. I laugh as the boy's cheer. I take the time to tie my hair back into a messy ponytail. He looks at me, angry out of embarrassment. He'll get over himself. 

If I had my knife this would be easier but I'm not here to kill. I've never killed. Why did the thought even cross my mind? I shake it away as Gally charges at me again. This time when I slide I stick out a leg making him face plant, eating the dry sand. I sling a leg and press down a foot on his back to keep him down as I grab his arm in an attempt to pull it around as well but he keeps it glued to the ground. 

Instead, my plan fails. His hand flips around catching my forearm and twisting me around, slamming me on my back. I groaned at the contact but I don't waste time getting up. Move quickly and agile. You'll be fine. I've taught myself how to fight for the most part feeling that eventually, a greenie would be pissed enough to attack the 'weakest'. The girl. But I was living proof that we're stronger. 

Don't judge a book by its cover. Gally's first mistake. Now it's my turn to charge for him. He holds his fists out to punch but I don't let it happen. I move as quickly as possible. Slow reflexes. Gally's second mistake. I slide in between his legs switching from my back to my stomach as I do so. I land in the perfect position as I stand up, curl my fist into a ball, and slam it into the middle of Gally's back. He groans and collapses on the ground. 

The cheering had stopped but not because it was boring. But because Gally was supposed to win. 

I run backward keeping my guard and senses up. It felt good. I kept moving my feet. Don't stop moving. 

I watch Gally flip to his back in pain. He places his hand up to help push himself off the ground but collapses again. I let out a sharp breath and place my arms down. I won. 

It took a second, but all the boys cheered loudly. I've never heard them this happy. I looked to where Newt was and he was grinning like an idiot. I held my two arms open for him. He dropped the glasses on the ground, spilling the liquid but it didn't matter. He ran as fast as his good and bad leg could into my arms. He picked me up and pinned my around. He set me down on the ground and pushed fly away hairs out of my face before grabbing my cheeks and bringing my face up to meet his. My lips to meet his. The boys teased but only for a moment when they continued to cheer and give me hugs. Gally was not very happy but he'll get over it hopefully.