Fever

"I'll bring a doctor in. You're burning up."

Days were slow. And long. Ava had the gracious gesture of moving me from the hospital bed to my old white room. 

Memories were quick to return but took forever for my brain to process things. Questions from the glade were answered. Like where the music tapes came from, which has to be one of my favorite stories. Before going to sleep, I would replay that memory in my mind because it was the happiest I can remember being before the glade. 

"Ok," I said tapping a notepad in my lap. "I want everyone to write their favorite songs on this paper. Sign your names so I know who is who." All of them asked why, none of them got answered. After the whole fiasco with sneaking into the outside world, it took a while for us to have a meeting again. Apparently, the four that were immune, whatever that means, had something happen to them. Anytime Newt or I asked they said they didn't want to talk about it. Newt and I made up funny scenario's when we were alone like maybe they were forced to watch a scary movie. Or had some life-threatening thing happen. 

After they were done making their list, I went into the large storage room and found the box Newt and I found last night. The two of us were sneaking out and found this huge room with boxes to the ceiling. We found this one torn-up box full of old, empty tapes and tape players. 

I took the box back to my room and decided to ask everyone their favorite songs, put them on the tapes, and give them to everyone. So I got started, playing music, filling tapes.

I never got to give them their tapes. The first time they saw them was back in the glade a year or two ago. 

The memories of little Newt and little me running around the place hand in hand always brought a smile to my face. God, I missed him. 

My thoughts were swept away as a tickle in my throat started making me cough. I covered my mouth with my elbow even though there was no one else in the room. I coughed again and again, not knowing why I couldn't stop. Eventually, I did.

My eyes were watery. Not from pain or sadness but from whatever just happened. 

"Y/N?" I hear my name at the door as Ava, in her white scrubs, as usual, walks in. "Are you alright?"

I groan at her voice. Why can't she just leave me alone. "Yeah, I'm fucking fine. Can you leave?" She stops in her tracks and stares at me. 

"Are you sure?" She starts walking towards me again. Her red-stained lips curved into a soft smile as she pressed the back of her hand to my forehead. Her face dropped as her hand fell back down beside her. She cleared her throat, straightened her lab coat, and put on that smile again. "I'll bring a doctor in. You're burning up." With that, she left the room. 

I watched as the door closed with a loud bang that shook the room slightly. A tear fell down my cheek as a new memory knocked at my head. 

"Mom!" I cried as I ran down the hall, as fast as my legs could carry me. I was maybe 13 at this point. My feet carried me towards the worried voices, all talking over each other. Mary had told me to run. To find my friends. I trusted her. 

My pace slowed as I reared the corner and my face fell. Maybe forty, maybe a bit more, boys were lined up against the wall. The age range varied. The oldest was easy to spot. Alby. My eyes scanned in worry until they fell upon Newt and Minho. Mom was standing by some researchers whispering about something. Her gaze flashed over to me, fear spreading through her features. 

She speed-walked towards me. 

"What are you doing here?" She barked at me, grabbing my shoulders and forcefully trying to push me away. "You should be in your room!"

"Let me go!" I cried as I let my legs loose, letting me collapse on the ground and out of her reach. I crawled between her legs before scrambling over to my friends who were now staring at me. 

"Minho!" I hugged him but he didn't hug back. I turned to give Newt a hug but he put a hand out in front of him, preventing me from getting closer. "What's wron-"

"You never actually cared, you liar." 

My heart stopped as I let my arms fall by my side. 

The rest of that memory is a blur. I get flashes of myself screaming to stop, to stop harming them as I'm dragged away. Newt's harsh gaze getting further and further away. 

I knew the memory Mary told me about when we got to the camp. No more questioins. But I'd give anything to take those memories away. I don't want them anymore. I DON'T WANT THEM.

My back was pressed against one of the white walls, mumbling I don't want them, when the metal door tinged open again. I looked up to see Ava and a doctor standing there, watching me. 

"I DON'T WANT THEM!" I screamed at them at the door. "TAKE THEM MEMORIES AWAY. NOW. NOW. NOW." Before I could continue screaming, coughs filled my lungs again. I retched out gags and coughs through thick sobs of past and present. 

Through the coughs I could make out the sentence the doctor said. 

"I think we both know what this means," He whispered. "She's got the flare."