Medjack

"Welcome to the club,"

Today the sun woke me up instead of someone yanking the covers off of me. I groaned as I sat up, cracking my knuckles. I looked around notices everyone's hammocks were empty making me the last one to get up. 

I pushed myself off the hammock. My bare feet hit the cold dirt as I hopped down. I reached under my hammock and brought out my messy tennis shoes. I slid them on my feet before walking out, the sun almost blinding me. I flipped my head down and brushed my hair to one of my hands before tying it up in a messy ponytail. 

"There you are." I hear someone say as they run up behind me. Jeff. The sun bounced off his dark skin making him look almost golden. "You said you wanted to try being a medjack?" I felt stupid for forgetting that and quickly nodded my head. 

A smile spread across his face before he waved me alongside him to walk to the medjack hut. As we walked people said hey and welcome even though it had been two days since I've arrived. The amount of people was almost overwhelming. I had no idea how I was going to remember everyone's name. 

We reached the makeshift hut and walked inside, the floorboards creaking as we walked. We turned left as soon as we entered the place revealing four mattresses on the floor with white blankets on top of them. 

"All right, let's get started," Jeff said clasping his hands together. 

We spent the entire time going over what everything was and where everything was. Different medicines and treatments they used for different things. It was interesting to me. I knew the medicine they had was nowhere near what we had back at home. Wherever that was. 

The sheer number of bandages in there was crazy. They seemed to be in every drawer. Jeff said injuries were common and bandages were one of the only things that came up in the box if they asked. I asked him what he meant by asking them and he told me that if they sent a note down in the box with what they wanted/needed the people who put them in here would send it up if they could/wanted to. 

It made sense but at the same time seemed insane. Trapped in a box getting supplies from an unknown supplier that happen to be the same people who trapped us here. I felt angry but confused. 

"I think that's it for the most part," Jeff said leaning against one of the poles holding up the structure. "Yay or nay?"

Becoming a medjack seemed easy enough and I didn't despise it, at all. I could really enjoy this I feel like. "Yeah." Jeff smiled then ran out of the one room we were in and into another screaming for Clint. 

"CLINT! SHE SAID YES YOU OWE ME YOUR DESSERT TONIGHT." He burst through one of the doors revealing Clint, his shaggy brown hair falling over his eyes.

He started yelling curses making Jeff laugh hysterically. I shook my head with a smile. God, I love it here already. 

Clint ran across the hall this time Jeff following him still laughing like an idiot. Clint walked over to me with his lips pressed in a line. My heart skipped in fear for a moment before he relaxed and smiled, sticking out his hand for me to shake. 

"Welcome to the club." I let out a breath of relief but refused to let him see that he scared me. I shook his hand before he spoke again. "Let's go tell Alby."

The three of us walked out of the hut and into the large glade. Woods on our left, the homestead on our left, the doors to the maze ahead. We walked for a while looking for Alby until we found him on a treehouse looking thing. It was tall and thin and looked like it could fall at any moment. 

"ALBY." Clint cupped his hands around his lips and yelled. The older boy looked down at us then turned towards what I assumed to be a ladder. He climbed down and walked over to us.

"Yeah?" His deep voice said, almost annoyed. 

"Greenies gonna be a medjack with us," Jeff spoke up from behind Clint. 

"Yeah," Clint agreed."

Alby looked at me and nodded his head. "Good that."