Remembrance

"I smirked jokingly. But not really. I am a badass."

I took the moment of craziness and distraction to bolt down the white and light blue hallways. I don't know where but the moment I find signs of people my age again I'll slow down and actually start looking for the gladers. 

The siren was orange instead of red like in my room. Why the siren was going off, I had no clue. Maybe some deranged shooter waltz in and was shooting up the place, coming for me next. I didn't really care. I'd rather die trying to find them than sitting on my ass waiting for death to come to me. 

My feet hit the floor quietly as I could as I sprinted in my new leggings and Newts flannel. I wanted a weapon, I'd feel more comfortable with one, but that's not a luxury I have right now. I just can't get caught. 

My legs were getting tired and my breath was becoming ragged forcing me to slow down.

I took some turns and somehow ended up in a warehouse. Stacks of crates reached the ceilings and metal pipes ran horizontally across the grey walls. The sound of the alarm was quieter in here because of how much space there was compared to the thin hallways. 

No one else was in here except for me, I knew that. But for some reason, I still opened my mouth and screamed, "NEWT!"

"Who's there??" An unknown voice said. I wasn't expecting a voice so my reflexes flung behind a large crate. I dipped down and took the time to tie my hair in a braid. After my hair was out of my face I slowly places my palms on the cold concrete floor, spreading my fingers out for balance and slowly peering around the corner. 

I could see two figures, their backs to me looking around aimelessy. Probably looking for me. Then the boy in a burnt-orange shirt turned around. I gasped quietly and flung back behind the crate. That's when the face registered. It was only Winston. I exhaled in relief before standing up knowing whoever the second guy was wasn't a threat. 

"Winston it's me." I said before I stepped out. Once I did, both of them were facing me. The second kid looked familiar but I couldn't place it. 

A soft, comforting smile spread of his face as he walked towards me and pulled me into a short hug. Then he punched me in the shoulder. 

"You scared me." He said with a laugh. "Thought you worked with Wicked or something."

I laughed. "Nope, just me." Then I turned to the new kid who I knew for a fact wasn't in the glade. "Who are you?" It came out more offensively than I intended to. 

The brown haired boy stuck out a hand. "I'm Aris." I reached out and shook his hand. 

"Y/N." If this were a cartoon, a lightbulb icon would've just popped up above his head. 

"So she's the girl Newt was talking about." He said  to Winston who nodded. Then he turned back to me as out hands fell back to our sides. "Where were you?"

I cocked my head to the side. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you weren't with the gladers and Janson said you weren't in the Med-Wing where Teresa was." Winston picked up the conversation. "Newt went A-Wall. I've never seen him curse like that." I dipped my head down and smiled to myself. "We were going to come find you too... but then Janson said you were dead. That's how we knew he worked with Wicked. The lies, yanno? Everyone knew you sure as hell weren't dead. We would've heard the cries of whoever was sent to kill you. You're kind of a badass you know."

"Yeah, I know." I smirked jokingly. But not really. I am a badass. "Where are they anyway? Like Newt and them." 

"They should be..." Aris' voice trails off as yelling behind a closed door springs up. "Here." The three of us rush up to the door when Aris pulls out a keycard from his back pocket. Bodies slam against the door making me flinch a little. 

"Hurry up!" I whipser-yell to Aris as he fumbles with the card before swiping it cleanly across the pad. I clicked then beeped a couple of times before the whoosh of the door opened, revealing the only people I couldn't live without. 

They all turn around, their jaw to the ground when they see me. "Hey guys." I say snarkily. 

In the background a tall rat like man stood with soldiers further down the hall. 

"Come on!" Frypan said eagirly edging everyone through the door. Newt stood their for a moment, hesitating. His deep brown eyes boring into mine. Then he sprinted at me. Only me. It reminded me of the time... an actual memory survaced in my mind. I was young, maybe eight, as I sat on a bed with a TV on the dresser. I was watching The Walking Dead, a few episodes into the first season when Rick Grimes was reunited with his son, Carl, and his wife, Lori who both thought he was dead. Carl bolted at Rick, knocking Rick to his knees in the embrace. 

This reminded me of that. I don't remember anything more than my eyes trained on the TV watching the bitter-sweet reunion. I wanted one of those moments but no one to share that with. No one really cared. I remember that. 

But now I was having that moment. Newt knocked me backwards a little but caught me before I fell, pulling me into a hug and burrowing his head in the crook of my neck. God, how I missed this. I don't remember how long I was gone but it wasn't that long that Newt and I ran to the helicopter, hand in hand. 

Thomas slid under the door and Aris smashed the door opener thing sending sparks flying before settling on the inflammable floor. We made it.