Note Capsule

"Please stay strong for me, ok?"

After running for a little bit, we ducked by some flower beds. I almost collapsed suddenly. I had this stupid illness and it was killing me. 

But I wasn't the one who was in the worst shape. 

"Well, they're definitely pissed," Gally said and for some reason, it angered me. 

"No fucking shit Gally." I half yelled at him.

"Woah, what's you're problem?" I have the flare. But I didn't say that. I just rolled my eyes and looked towards Newt. And my heart dropped. He started to cough, the same kind of cough I had. No. 

No this can't be happening. He's supposed to live. That's how this was supposed to go. No... tears glossed my reddened eyes. 

"Newt, how are you feeling?" Minho asked as he crawled over to the two of us.

"Ugh, terrible," Newt said as if he were still trying to make this easier. After all of this, he was still making sure his friends wouldn't be hurt. Then Newt placed a hand on Minho's shoulder. "It's good to see you though." Minho nodded and looked at me with a sorry expression. 

Then the itch came to my throat. And the cough retched out. My secret was gone. I couldn't hide it anymore even if I wanted to. 

"Oh, no," Newt said, rolling his head to me. "Not you too..." He said. But I was at a loss for words. My eyes teared up again as I stared at his. They were empty and full of nothingness. He'd already given up. He'd already accepted his fate. But I refused to do the same. 

"Hey, Newt," Thomas said as he rushed over. "Come on, bud. We gotta get you up, let's go." I still had enough power to stand up on my own. I was just feeling bad, but my legs still worked. 

I don't know what tunnels Gally and Thomas kept talking about as we ran through the crowded town. Sirens from police bounced off of every wall and panicked speaking came from the streets. Helicopters loomed above, their lights threatening to give us away. 

"Tunnels are right up ahead," Gally informed us. Thomas and Minho were still bracing Newt and it pained me to see him like this. I thought back to the time the gladers were escaping the glade. We all knew the imminent danger that loomed ahead so I had made a promise.

If Newt goes, I go. 

We all heard soldiers once more so we hid again. Newt covered his coughs but they were still audible. Gunfire and soldiers yelling orders, however, drowned them out. Then it all got eerily quiet.

"What are they waiting for?" I questioned. But right as the words left my mouth, screams of people ran through the streets and gunfire resumed, explosion and screams filled the area. 

"We gotta go," Gally said. 

NO SHIT, I wanted to scream but I held back. 

We moved, thankful for the distraction and cover the commotion granted us. Newt, still braced on Minho and Thomas started to get worse. 

We had to get to Brenda. Now. 

The five of us had reached an ally and ducked into it, the red illumination of fire cast strange shadows on the walls. 

They leaned Newt on a wall and I grabbed his hand as Thomas reached for his walkie and called to Brenda. 

The five words he said were the five words I did not need to hear. "We're not gonna make it." My mind was filled with anger, and the internal voice yelled words I would not say out loud. 

I couldn't make out what Brenda was saying over the walkie but it made Thomas smile. So either she professed her love for him or gave him good news. I'm hoping it was number two. 

"She's coming to us," He said with a smile. A smile spread on my face too. We're going to make it! Newt and I are going to live. "We just got to get to the tunnels. 

"We can do it," I said squeezing Newt's hand. "We can do it," I repeated as we all stood up and got on the move again.

The world around us was full of chaos. Screams echoed through my mind as explosions and heat riddled our bodies. 

"Just leave me," Newt gasped out as we ran into another alley. No one responded to him as another explosion blew in front of us. We scattered back like mice in a trap, like gladers in a glade. 

Then, a huge berg loomed above us, flying atop the chaos. 

"It's them," Thomas said thankfully, mesmerized by the machine. "It's them, we gotta go."

We reached to get Newt up again but this time he refused to move. He let out a cough as he protested. 

"Minho, Y/N..." Thomas whispered. "You gotta run ahead, grab the serum, and get back to us as soon as you can." I looked at him like he was a monster. Telling me what to do. What the hell? WHAT THE HELL?

"You two, go." He said. 

"He's right," Gally popped in. "I can cover."

My mind threatened to leave my body again, letting the flair control me. But I was still strong enough to refuse.

I knew getting the serum was the best choice. I- I had to. 

Newt grabbed Minho's hand and thanked him right before we were about to leave. Minho stood up and started to walk away and Newt grabbed my shoulders and pulled me into his body, wrapping his arms around me. 

"Y/N, can you promise me something, love?" He asked. I nodded. "Please stay strong for me, ok?"

"Don't talk like that. You're talking like you're going to die. You are not going to die, understand."

A weak smile formed on his blackened lips. His red eyes softened as a shaking hand came up to my cheek. I leaned my hand into it. "I love you. You saved me, and there is nothing I can do to thank you for that."

"Newt, please..." 

"No, no. Here," He reached for his neck and I watched as tears cascaded down my soot-covered face. My lip quivered as he ripped a necklace off of him before giving it to me. I opened my palm to look at it. It was the note capsule we found together. I had given it to him, and he was giving it back. He brought our faces together and pressed his lips to mine. One last time. "Goodbye,"

"No, you know what that word means to me. Remember? Goodbye means going away-"

"And going away means forgetting." He finished. "But one problem. I could never forget you. And no flare, no illness in the world can rid me of you. Now, go."

I went. And didn't look back.