I Remember

"You were always their favorite Thomas."

Things get are getting worse by the second. First Ben stung in broad daylight, then Alby. Then the new girl saying Cordelia as if it were me. The killing of the griever and finding some strange device. I don't know... it feels as if something were building up. Like a grand finale and we were the audience desperately buying tickets before they sold out. For a show we knew nothing about. 

Should I go farther than the last three days?

Thomas survived the one night in the slammer and now he and Minho were out in the maze trying to find a new clue. One we were close to, according to Minho. I for one was hoping for a way out. Then Newt and I could finally do what we dreamed of. I smiled at the memory. 

Newt brought me flowers last night and apologized but I knew it wasn't his fault so we sat together for a while and talked and stargazed.

But now we were all standing by the edge of the wall waiting for Minho and Thomas to come home. Newt bounced his foot nervously as the walls inside of the maze sounded like they were collapsing. It was off in the distance but it wasn't the normal creaking of it. 

"Now, what the hell is going on out there?" Newt asked as soon as Minho and Thomas ran into the glade. I heaved a breath of relief that neither of them were dead, dragging the other one's body back. 

"What the hell have you done now Thomas?" I punched Gally in the ribs.

"Slim it, yeah?" I shot at him. Before returning my attention back to the conversation. 

They talked about finding a new passage, possibly a way out. I knew it was dangerous to get your hopes up, especially here, but I couldn't help it. I imagined finding out parents, possible siblings again. Traveling the world. Actual food for once, although Fry's is pretty damn good. 

Then they talked about finding where the grievers go during the day and it sent a jolt of fear through me as the group walks quickly. Why are we in a rush? Can we for once just slow down and talk like normal people?

Then Gally had to open his mouth. Someones upset because mister new guy fell in love with miss new girl and Gally's jealous. 

"The truth is, Thomas doesn't know what he's done, as usual." Everyone rolled their eyes at the same time.

Thomas turns around quickly taking me by surprise that he's actually standing up for himself. "Yeah, well at least I did something, Gally. I mean, what have you done, huh?" Oh shit. "Aside from hide behind these walls all the time?"

"Lemme tell you something, greenie. You've been here three days, all right? I've been here three years." Gally retaliates. The girls are fighting!! Take this seriously Y/N.

"Yeah, you've been here three years, and you're still here, Gally!" I bit the insides of my cheeks. Can't tell if it's to stop myself from laughing or because he's actually right. And it scares me. "All right? So what does that tell you? Maybe you should start doing things a little differently."

I hear Teresa, yeah her names Teresa, speak in the background. Her voice is quiet and a bit raspy. I mean she has just woken from a coma. 

"It's Alby!" That gets everyone's attention and before I know it I'm in the medjack hut. Last night, we gave Alby some kind of serum that either could kill him or save him. Decided we didn't have much left to lose so we injected him with it. He survived, and he was better. 

He sits on the edge of the bed hugging blankets. I give Newt a soft smile and nudge him forward knowing he cares about him. 

"Alby, you all right?" He asks. Alby sits there like he's seen a ghost as the sounds of the glade seep in through the cracks in the walls. His lip quivers slightly and his eyes become empty. The look makes me want to cry. 

"Hey, Alby." I crouch down in front of him trying to soothe him if I can. "Alby, they might have just found a way out of the maze." He doesn't bother to look at me. It looks like... like he's just remembered something. "Alby do you hear me?" I push on. Even just a head nod would be enough. "We could be getting out of here."

I looked to Newt who's gaze is at the floor. His brown eyes glossy with tears he refuses to let fall. 

"We can't," Alby whispers. His voice was shaky as my eyes traveled back to him. The one who introduced me to this place. To the place I'd call home. "We can't leave." I can see memories flash through his eyes but only he can see them. "They won't let us." His voice quivered as I look back to Thomas who's shaking his head in confusion. 

"What are you talking about?" I ask again. A clear answer. Please, please, please. 

"I remember." Two words that an hour ago would've meant nothing suddenly meant everything. 

I didn't want to ask but I knew I had to. I took a deep breath, "What do you remember?" 

"You." Now he looks at me then his eyes flicker to Thomas. "You were always their favorite, Thomas." He said with disgust. "Always. And Co- Y/N just meant everything to her." Cordelia.

The conversation was cut short as yelling outside erupted. Shit, what now? How could things possibly get worse?