Violation

"She's the last one... ever."

We all had the pleasure and sitting of Gally being upset at the greenie for running into the maze. He looks to everyone hoping someone would agree with him but in everyone's head, we were thinking the same thing. 'The greenie saved Alby and Minho'. I, for one, don't think that needs to be punished. Yeah sure it's against our rules or whatever but that hardly matters because, without him, our leader and my best friend would be dead. 

"Well, what do you suggest we do?" New asks as he leans against one of the poles in the meeting room. The greenie sits helplessly on a rock and I stand next to Minho. 

"He has to be punished." Alby looks to his feet trying to pretend he doesn't want that. Everyone knows Gally hates the greenie. I roll my eyes at him as I adjust my footing. Everyone starts talking. Some objections, some people agree. I don't. 

Newt keeps his calm as he speaks again, quieting everyone down. "Minho," He says. "You were there with him, what do you think." Everyone looks towards the boy. He sighs and I know he doesn't want to talk about it. 

"I think, in all the time we've been here," His voice progressively grows louder. "no one's ever killed a griever before. When I turned tail and ran, this dumb shank stood behind to help Alby." Everyone waited in silence for whatever he was going to say. "Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid, whatever it is we need more of it." I knew what he was going to say next. I don't know how, but something in my brain clicked. Runner.

"I say we make him a runner." He finished starting mummers and excited chatter to fill the room. Frypan was saying things that made me laugh and Newt looked half-amused with a slight smirk on his face. Then I looked at Thomas. His eyes were wide and he looked like he couldn't decide if he should smile or cry. 

Chuck started to chant 'Thomas Thomas Thomas' in the crowd but it went nowhere as Clint blankly stared at him like he was crazy. Or embarrassed. Or both. 

Gally on the other hand wasn't happy at all. 

"If you guys want to throw the newbie a parade, that's fine!" He yelled at everyone making them sink back in their chairs once more. "Go ahead. But if there is one thing that I know about the maze..." You don't know anything about the maze. "You do not-"

A siren buzzes through the glade. Everyone freezes at the sound, collectively knowing what it is. The box siren. Panic shoots through me as I stand up along with everyone else and rush out of the make-shift room. We all run towards the box, Newt, Gally, and I arrive first. 

The deep bellowing continues to churn until it gears to a halt at the top. 

Gally and I open the top of the box, letting Newt hop down to check it out. I almost wanted to stop him. The same energy from when Thomas came up returned. 

"Newt what do you see?" I called to him. He looked back up at me, his brown eyes completely bewildered. 

"It's a girl..." He says in absolute shock as he looks at me. I raise my eyebrows. I was the only girl ever to come up in the box. Other than me the constant arrival of a guy continued. Why would they send up another greenie? It's been only a few days. 

I hopped down into the box as well, my feet clanging against the metal as I landed. I looked at the raven-haired girl who looked strangely familiar and not in a pleasant way. Hatred filled me for no reason. I wasn't jealous, it would be nice to have another girl here but it was like a grudge from my past itched at my brain trying to break through that damn wall. 

"I think she's dead?" I whisper questioningly as I look at her strangely still and cold body. 

Gally calls down from above. "What's in her hand?" I see Newt look at her fist which sure enough had a paper tucked inside. He pulls it from her hand and his face falls into even more confusion. 

"She's the last one... ever," Newt says to everyone as he hands me the note. I look at him, my eyebrows furrowed. "What the hell does that mean?" He says to me but everyone else could hear. 

Then she gasps awake making me fall backward at the sudden movement. I wasn't the only one startled. Her blue eyes looked up at Thomas as she repeated, "Thomas," Then her eyes trailed to me. "You." She sheathed before her eyelids closed again and she fell back into a dead sleep. 

Everyone's eyes traveled to Thomas then back down to me in complete synchronization. If the situation wasn't serious I would've laughed. Thomas looked down at me, fear in his eyes. I didn't know what to do so I just shrugged. How could this day get stranger?