Leaving

"Okay, but we got to get through Gally first."

I leaned against a nearby tree for support when I saw all the grievers leaving. I was weak. I was scared. Nothing was injured except a hot pain on my cheek where I skid against the grass but it wasn't bad. 

I looked around for anyone. Did they come back for everyone else. Am I the only survivor? Newt... Where's Newt. Please tell me he's not dead. Something took control of me and I ran through a gap in the burning piles.

It looked abandoned confirming my worst fear. I lost him. The invisible strings that were holding me together were just cut as I let out the scream I needed too. My voice cracked with my throat dry and my lungs weak. Tears streamed down my muddy, scratched up face. 

After taking breaths, I ran a hand through my disheveled hair. I didn't scream this time, I just sobbed out the words.

"Newt..." I couldn't process it. 

"Y/N?" I heard someone say. I looked up through my matted hair. My heart pounding a million miles an hour. Standing in the darkness, the flames illuminating his features, was Newt. I bolted to him, wrapping my arms around his neck breathing heavily. He grabbed the back of my head and sobbed into my shoulder.

"Oh my god." He breathed out. "I thought they got you..." I let out a sob, dampening his cream-colored sweatshirt. "You are never, ever allowed out of my sight again."

-------

It was a day after what happened. I hardly left the medjack hut even though they cleared me to leave. I was ashamed. Apparently, Thomas injected himself with the stinger stuff and Gally took charge. Things got even worse than yesterday. And I thought that day would be the last day I breathe. 

We surround Thomas and Teresa's slammer after Gally put them there. He took the position of Alby even though it should be Newt. Hands down. 

"He's right," Newt said after Thomas. Apparently, Thomas remembers some things now too. Talked about how he was the reason we were all here. He and Teresa worked with the creators to stuff them all in here. But it was weird when he looked at me. I don't understand why she decided to put you here. "It doesn't matter. Any of it. 'Cause the people we were before the maze, they don't even exist anymore. These creators took care of that." We all sat in silence listening to him. In the distance, you could hear Gally screaming. "But what does matter is who we are now and what we do right now. You went into the maze and found a way out."

"Yeah well, if I hadn't, Alby would still be alive." The thought of Alby flickered through my head. I didn't save him. It's my fault he's gone. 

"Maybe," I choked out before taking a big breath. "But I know that if he were here, he would be telling you the exact same thing. Pick your ass up and finish what you started. 'Cause if we do nothing then Alby died for nothing and I can't have that." I said the last sentence quickly. My fault. 

"Okay," Thomas said nodding. "Okay, but we got to get through Gally first."

-------

We came up with a plan. We were going home. Just play it cool. The four of us played along and let Gally take Teresa and Thomas to the walls. 

Gally's yelling absolute horse shit about how Thomas destroyed everything and blah blah blah. Newt, Minho, and I exchange quiet nods. My heart is racing but I don't show it. 

"Do you hear me? I said tie him up!" And then it's started. Thomas, who was playing possum, fought back leading the way so Newt and I could start fighting as well. I wasn't going to kill a single person. Just mildly injure.

The group erupts into a mix of confusion and anger as people fight back. Then we win. I have my knife clutched in my hand as I join the rest of them by the doors. We're getting out tonight. 

"You're full of surprises, aren't you?" Gally scoffs as we all stand there, breathing heavily. 

"You don't have to come with us, but we are leaving," Thomas says calmly. How he stays calm is a mystery to me. "Anyone else who wants to come now's your last chance."

Gally holds an arm out so no one leaves. "Don't listen to him. He's just trying to scare you."

"No, I'm not trying to scare you, you're already scared. All right? I'm scared. But I'd rather risk my life out there than spending the rest of it in here." I looked around at the blank faces of the people who were once my friends now standing against me. Hell, Gally and I were friends once. I didn't want that to end but he's being an ass hole. 

The empty glade with embers from yesterday still burning, the smoke still dangling in the air. Haunting us. 

"We don't belong here."

You ever thought about the fact that there's a whole world outside of this place?
Yeah, I want to see it.
Me too. I want to get out of here and live. Not just be alive but actually
live.

"Okay? This place isn't our home."

We are on a rock, Wendy but it is growing smaller. Soon the water will be over it.
We must go.
Yes.
Shall we swim or fly, Peter?
Do you think you could swim or fly as far as this island, Wendy, without my help?

"We were put here. Okay, we were trapped here."

THOMAS GO! THOMAS BEHIND YOU!
I'LL  KILL YOU! I'LL KILL YOU AND THOMAS!

"At least out there, we have a choice. We can make it out of here. I know that." By now, other gladers started to join us. Our small group of maybe six or seven was slowly growing. "Gally it's over. Just come with us." Gally's a lost cause by now. His ego won't let him. 

"Good luck against the grievers." Was all he said. He looked at me as if to say he was sorry but I just shook my head. 

The group started to back into the maze in a slow jog that picked up speed. I looked over my shoulder and saw the place I just called home, grow smaller and farther. Maybe I was a fool for thinking we could be happy there.