Hermano

"Thought you guys said they were ghosts."

We were hanging upside down. No seriously, like Minho's smoking body, we were hanging by our feet over a pit of nothingness. 

"Good plan, Thomas," Minho said sarcastically. "'Just hear what the man has to say.' Really working out for us."

"Oh shut up, Minho." Thomas shot back. 

Why were we in this position, you may ask. It's because we followed a strange woman through a pit of cranks into a weird place with weird people. Talked to the boss man, saw we had tattoos (for some reason that a big deal apparently) then threw us in here. As I've said before and probably will many more times. We. Are. Idiots. 

Thomas tried to do a pull-up and reach the rope, it didn't work.

"Enjoying the view?" Jorge says as he walks in. 

"Yeah, thanks. Douche." I say earning a slap in the head by Newt. 

I rubbed my head then let my arm fall back down. Then Thomas spoke. "What the hell do you want?" He asked. Why doesn't Thomas get slapped for saying a no-no word?

"That is the question," He said as he walked around. Yes, it is a question... typically you answer those. "My men want to sell you back to WCKD. Life has taught them to think small." I hope that the long answer for 'don't worry I'll protect you'. "I'm not like that." He says as he brings a dog-head cane into the palm of his hand. "Something tells me that you're not either."

"Is the blood rushing to my head, or is this shank not making any sense?" Minho said.

"I second that," I respond quickly. Newt shoots me a glance saying 'you are gonna get us all killed'. Yeah well, welcome to my life. My name shouldn't be 'The Angel' it should be 'Don't Be Friends With Her, You'll Get Killed'. 

Jorge gives Minho a rude look. "Tell me what you know about the Right Arm." 

Finally, Newt speaks. 

"Thought you said they were ghosts." He did indeed say that. 

"I happen to believe in ghosts." He responded. "Especially when I hear them chattering on the airwaves." Jorge walked over to the lever that was the only thing holding us up. "You tell me what you know, and maybe we can make a deal." His face was dead serious like he wouldn't hesitate to pull the lever. 

"We uh- we don't know much." Thomas started. Jorge called BS and pulled the lever, dropping us a few feet. "OKAY, OKAY. All right, all right," Thomas said in a panic. "They're hiding in the mountains. They attacked WCKD got out a bunch of kids. That's it, that's all we know." I must have missed that because I didn't know any of that. 

Then a tall, burly man interrupts him asking what he was doing. Jorge said he was just finishing up then he left. Somehow our gang of idiot's made a plan after he left. We pushed Teresa over to try and get the lever to let us down. 

Once a few of us were down and back right side up, we started hearing Janson speak over the intercoms. 

Shit.

We scrambled to get everyone else down. I had gotten Newt over and once he was he grabbed my waist, pulled me in, and kissed me. I smiled into it before we broke apart at the sound of a gun cocking. The burly man from before had a gun pointed right at us. 

"Hey... we're not trying to cause any trouble, okay? We just- we gotta get out of here." Thomas says, his hands up in defense. 

"Is that so?" He responded with a crooked smile with crooked teeth. He pulls out a walkie thinking he's just going to notify Jorge. That wasn't who he was calling. "Janson, I got 'em for ya. I'm bringing 'em down. Don't shoot us." He clicked off the walkie before gesturing to us. "Come on. Let's go." Like hell. "I said let's go."

I stepped forward slowly to not bring attention to me. I wrapped my arm around his and twisted. The gun went off, missing us by smiled. Then everyone followed my lead and helped me take him down. I shoved him into a pillar but I guess that pissed him off because he spits out a tooth and walked towards me, gun raised and cocked.

"YOU LITTLE BASTARD." He pointed it at my heart when the bullet rang out. I thought I was dead but when I opened my eyes it wasn't me who had the bullet in them. It was him. He falls to the ground revealing the crank-girl from before, Brenda, with her gun raised. 

"Okay, come on." She said. We followed her yet again.

Suddenly a song started playing, Walking After Midnight. I knew it because it was on Winston's tape. We rushed up the stairs and met Jorge at the top, ready to go. 

"Let's go, let's go. Right this way." He placed two hands on double doors that when he pushed out revealing emptiness. He wants us to jump... 

"Oh, you gotta be kidding me," Fry says my exact thoughts when I notice the zip-line. 

"Plan B, Hermano," Jorge says, pulling down a harness. "You kids want to get to the Right Arm? I'll lead you to them. But you're gonna owe me." He says with a serious look. Then he grips the string that I realized wasn't really a harness it was more of a 'hang on so you don't die' mechanism. "Follow me." His voice fades into the distance as he pushed off and slides down on the zip-line. 

"All right, let's go!" Brenda yells, pulling another 'hang on so you don't die' mechanism down. Minho goes next then I push Newt forward. But he pushed me forward.

He shakes his head. "No, you first." I don't want to go first. What if he's not right behind me? What if something happens. "Please?" The look in his eyes says a million words so I grip onto the fabric until my knuckles are white and push off, the wind flying at my face. It's a nice break from all the heat and I can't help smiling as I fly through the air like a bird. I'm tempted to let go and spread my arms like an actual bird but I figure that's not smart. So I don't. 

I do look behind me and see the patch of sandy-blonde hair right behind me. Then my feet hit the floor and Minho steadies me as I land. 

Newt comes next and I pull him into a hug. We made it.

But Thomas and Brenda never came.