Falling Food

"Who was Cordelia?"

We held yet another council meeting deciding on Thomas's fate. Gally, of course, said he needed to be punished. Newt, Minho, and I weren't so sure honestly. By the end of it, all Thomas earned one night in the slammer with no food but the next day he'd officially be a runner. 

Now, I was in the medjack hut watching over the girl. She hadn't woken up yet and everyone was worried she was in a permanent coma. Hopes of her waking up slimmed by the second as I said there picking at my fingers until they bled. 

The greenies breathing was steady, a good sign, but every now and again she'd mumble something or twitch. Clint and Jeff were gone for a moment giving me time alone. 

I stood up from the wooden chair and moved over to the cabinet to get a cup for some water. I found a clay cup and brought it down from the second shelf before moving over to the old sink. The water slowly filled up the cup, cooling down the exterior of it. 

Right as I took a sip a gasp came from the girl. I jerked my head to her to see that she was sitting up. Fear in her eyes, then anger, as her bright blue eyes met mine. She scrambled off the bed, messing up the soft sheets. She lost balance, bumping into the cabinet of supplies. Cups, bandages, medicine tumbled off the shelfs to the floor in a heap of exposed materials. 

"YOU." She looked at me, backing up to the exit. I looked at her starstruck. "Cordelia." She whispered the name but I caught it. I repeated it in my head.

Cordelia
Cordelia
Cordelia
Cordelia

Who was Cordelia? 

I see Clint and Jeff walk in as she says the name. Jeff's fast reflexes shoved the piles of twine into Clint's hands before trying to grab the girl. She let out a yell and threw an elbow into his stomach making him release her and gasp for air. I dropped the cup of water as she bolts out of the shack into the field. 

Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Go get Thomas and Minho!" I yell before chasing after her.

"Where are they?" Jeff grabs my wrist before I can leave.

"Check the map room. Minho went to show Thomas." He nods before releasing me. I searched the open area to find her sprinting across the field. I bolted after her.

The gladers did a double-take as they show the raven-haired girl sprint through the middle of everything. Some dropped what they were working at and tried to tell her to slow down. That we weren't going to hurt her. And we weren't. 

Before I knew it, she was scaling up the thin, unstable treehouse Alby made when he first got here. At least from the stories I've heard. I come to a stop as Gally runs up behind me. 

"What's this about?" He asked heaving for air, hands on his hips. Drama queen.

I looked up at the girl who was looking over the edge at the forming group of boys. "She just... woke up," I said still baffled about what happened not three minutes ago. 

Someone called my name in the distance but I immediately recognized the voice. Newt came running up on the other side of me. And that's when she started to throw fruit and bricks and pieces of wood. 

A pear hit Gally on the head making him rub it dramatically and yell back at her, what the hell? I wanted to laugh but I knew that was a good way to end up in the medjack hut. Even though Gally wouldn't hurt me, he still scared me. Sometimes.

Some gladers ran up with actual shields. God, I love these little shanks but sometimes they make me wanna curl up in a ball with embarrassment. Fry handed them out like party favors. 

"Oh, damn!" I heard Fry yell after he got hit. I started to laugh a little when Newt nudged me and said it wasn't funny. I kept laughing. Then he started too. 

Fruit rained on us and we guarded ourselves with our forearms. Newt on my right, Gally on my left. 

"You throw one more of those things-" He cried as he got hit with what looked like an apple but I couldn't tell. I kept laughing until one hit me too. "Yeah, keep laughing Y/N."

"Go away!" A muffled voice came from the top of the structure. 

"We come in peace!" Someone said. I wanted to ask who thought- hit with another apple. 

Winston tapped me on the shoulder and shuffled me and Newt under the top of a wooden crate. I didn't know Winston that well but he was always sweet. Reserved, but sweet. "I don't think she likes us very much." Newt laughed as he still kept one arm up in defense. I shook my head with a small smile. 

YOU. Cordelia.

Thomas yelled something from the other side but she responded with, "I'm warning you." And threw another piece of fruit. This was getting nowhere. Then Thomas spoke again, this time I heard.

"Woah, Woah, Woah. It's Thomas! It's Thomas." The second time he said his name seemed like he was trying to convince himself as well. Cordelia.

Then she fell silent. Her face leaned over the edge of it, her tangled hair falling over her pale face. 

"Okay, I'm going to come up, okay?" He reassured her. Frypan looked at him like he was crazy or something. Which he probably was but I was beginning to like that about him. 

Thomas peered around the corner before climbing up the latter to meet her. Minho stood there, his playboy stance as I called it, looking amused as ever. Newt looked tired. Then it hit me that something was wrong. Not just with the new girl, but Newt too. I cocked my head to the side as I watched him leave without saying anything. I go to reach for him but someone grabbed my shoulder. 

"Leave him." I turned around to see Minho giving a weak smile. "It's alright. He can get like that sometimes." He reassured me with a bigger smile. "Come on, I know you skipped lunch. Let's get some of Fry's stew."

He called out to Fry and the three of us walked to the kitchen.

I'm so sorry I haven't updated in like two weeks. Things got busy and stuff but I'm backkkk and I hope I don't stop for that long again ahaha. I hope your new years was great!