Stung

"You sure it's smart to be up?"

Three of us stood crowding around two beds. One for the struggling Justin screaming profanities at no one in particular. The other for Minho who was knocked out from a blow to his head. For a moment we thought he could be dead but his breathing steadied out and it was only a matter of time before he awoke once more. 

Justin was tied down to the bed by rope. It barely held him almost like he had grown superhuman strength. On his stomach was a giant hole a spot the size of a giant needle. Once Minho wakes up we can ask him questions but until then we just hope Justin calms down. Lines of purple and black moved from the black spot and reached out like spiderwebs. It was concerning and no one in the glade had seen it before. Something new. And new wasn't exactly a good thing all the time. 

Alby stood stiff, his arms crossed across himself. The stress had returned to his eyes and he had hardly said a word since we got here and neither had Newt. Everyone was too shocked to speak. 

I looked over to Minho's bed as he shifted his position. A shaky breath escaped me as he pushed himself into a sitting positioned and rubbed his eyes open. 

"Thank god," I said and ran over to him, hugging him. "You alright?" I asked worriedly. He smiled at me and then nodded his head as Newt walked to the other side of the bed hugging him as well.

"I think so. It was all a blur." I looked back at Alby who looked pleased but didn't come over to us. 

Minho looked beside him as Justin let out another scream filled with a mixture of anguish and anger. His face fell back to his lap as he ran a hair through his messy black hair. Newt and I met eyes across the bed and shared a look of sorrow. We knew what Minho must be thinking much less feeling. His second partner gone. 

"How long has he been like that?" He asked refusing to look up from his lap. 

"A couple hours," Newt responded. "He knocked you up pretty good," Newt said looking at the black eye and bleeding lip Minho had received. 

Minho nodded. "He's going to be ok, right?"

"We don't know." It was my turn to speak. "Newt and I have talked to the other gladers and no ones seen anything remotely close to this." I sighed. I wanted to believe everything was going to be ok but I knew the chances were slim. 

Minho pushed me to the side as he flung his legs off the white-sheeted bed, placing his feet on the wooden floor. Newt reacted quickly standing up. 

"Woah, mate. You sure it's smart to be up?"

"Nope," Minho said pulling his arms behind him, cracking his back. "But I really don't care." He walked over to a chair where his gray t-shirt laid from earlier and pulled it on. Then he walked over to where Justin laid struggling and screaming in-human-like. It was almost bearable now but still hurt whenever he screamed at the top of his lungs. 

Minho clenched his jaw and looked at his friend scanning what the damage was. His black eyes and the black spider-like veins popping from his skin. Minho's face was twisted like he was staring at a mutated animal. Almost disgusted. But hints of pity showed. Hints of sadness. 

"Minho," Alby said from the corner of the room. "Mind if we ask what the hell happened?" 

---------

The four of us sat around the cluttered map room table as Minho talked about what happened on their run.  Alby thought it was best if we went somewhere more private to talk about it. 

He talked about how he was initially supposed to go alone but met up with Justin a few miles in. They ran the route together when they came across a griever. No one had told me about the things yet but when I asked, the room seemed to get dense like a rock was crushing us. Figured I wouldn't ask again until later. 

The griever attacked and they tried to run, but it grabbed Justin by one of its claws and pulled him back injecting him with some serum Minho had never seen before. No one had. After it stung Justin it crawled away back to where it came from. No one has seen a griever in the daytime before which is why Minho was still shaken up a bit. 

Minho stayed behind with him and helped him stand and that when Minho knew something was worse than expected. The boy lept at him, clawing at his eyes screaming nonsense. 

"What did he say?" Alby asked. Minho shook his head and leaned back in his chair. 

"I'm not sure. It was hard to make out sentences but I heard a little." He cleared his throat. "Something about WICKED is good? I don't know it doesn't make sense because then he screams 'NO IT ISN'T' repeatedly." 

I looked over at Newt who had a disturbed expression on his face. He looked at me and mouthed 'you ok?' I nodded my head and turned back to the group.

Little did I know,

This was only the beginning.