The Gates of Hell

"Doesn't seem like a good place to 'go for a run'."

The blankets that were on top of me were ripped off of me. I blinked my eyes and saw the sun rising above the glade leaving streaks of orange across the blue sky. 

"Wake up." A voice said from the end of the hammock. I pushed myself off the hammock and stared at Minho who had one hand on his hip and the other held the blanket. "Can I help you?" He asked.

"You woke me up," I said blandly. I don't need much at all. But I need my sleep or I'll snap someone's neck. Even though it was my first night that I remember I still knew that. The feeling was weird. I hated it. 

"That I did." He said and then he walked away and into the glade. I stretched my arms and popped my knuckles before walking out after Minho. 

It was really early but I guess that's what people do here. I caught up to Minho who was walking towards the woods. 

"Where are you going?" I asked once I was standing next to him keeping the same pace. 

"To get my stuff to go on a run." He said as we arrived at a little hut. It was far into the forest which was already a creepy sign. It was made out of sticks and twigs and a door that was crooked on its hinges. 

"A run? Doesn't seem like a good place to 'go for a run'." Right as those words came out of my mouth a loud bang shuddered throughout the glade. The ground below me shook as well. I covered my ears with my hands before someone grabbed the back of my shirt and yanked me into the hut. 

The sound was still blaring, only a little bit quieter. I look around, hands still over my ears. Eight wooden chests were against the walls and a large table in the middle, scattered with papers and a map that resembled a maze. 

I saw Minho leaning against the table, unbothered by the screeching of whatever was going off. "WHAT'S GOING ON?" I yelled over the sound hoping he could hear me. I shoved the air with his hand as to say, 'i'll tell you in a second'. 

The sound seemingly went on for hours but I knew it was only about two minutes. The sound stopped with a loud bang sending another wave through the woods. I slowly peeled my hands away from my ears as if removing them would trigger the sound again. 

I looked at Minho who was picking up papers and tracing his finger along the maze made out of sticks. "Now what the hell was that?" I asked walking over to him. 

"That," He said as he turned away to reach into a chest. "Was the sound of the door opening."

"Look, I may not remember anything. But I know for a fact doors don't sound like that." I said as he pulled out a pair of tennis shoes and a backpack. 

"No. Not a regular door." He sat down and put on the tennis shoes as he continued talking. "It's less of a door and more of a gate to hell. Beyond those walls is a giant maze." He nodded his head towards the map on the table. "It's our only way out..." A shadow brushed across his face. 

"If you guys can get out of here then why don't you?" 

He sighed deeply before standing up. "We haven't found the way out." He walked past me towards the door. "But we have no other choice but to keep looking." Then he opened it letting the morning sun spill into the room. He gestured for me to exit before he followed, closing it. 

We walked out of the dense and muggy forest onto the manicured field of the glade. People moved about, faded conversation and laughter filled the area. I looked to my left and saw an opening I didn't see before. Part of the concrete wall was gone. That was the door Minho had referred to. 'The gates of hell.'

Minho started walking towards the doors. "I have to run alone today." He sighed. "Haven't done that for at least a year." 

"Why? Where is he?" I said, fakely concerned. It wasn't that I wasn't sad for him but I was hungry. And tired. 

"Remember that kid you saw yesterday." He turned his head to me. "The one in the medjack hut?"

I nodded my head remembering the shaggy-haired boy. Remembering my name. 

"That's my partner. Or was."

"Well you're positive aren't you," I said as we approached the tall walls. Their shadow blanketing the glade. 

He shrugged his shoulder before pulling his leg behind him, stretching. "I just want him to be ok, ya know?"

I nodded. "Well no. But I feel like I would."