Wanderers

"Can we not catch a break?"

We made it out of the stupid complex and into the scorch, as Thomas called it. Even though it was night, it was hot. I had always correlated night with cold so it was strange. We ended up in an old abandoned work building; maybe an old apartment building. The group decided to split up and fill the backpacks with stuff we might need. 

Newt and I were paired up. I kicked the sand off the top of my shoe as we walked. 

"You know," I said as we walked further into the unknown darkness with only a flashlight to light our way. "When we talked about what it would be like getting out of the glade, this is not what I had in mind."

"What, a giant desert with a virus that attacks your mind, makes you go crazy, then kills you doesn't sound like paradise?" Newt says sarcastically as we stop at a long table filled with stuff. We looked around at the items, stuffing flashlights and gauges into our packs. Newt found some water bottles with clean water. 

Then I came across a necklace. I picked it up and examined it. It was long and had a brown leather string for the chain. The pendant wasn't a pendant at all, it was a small silver note capsule. I took it in my hands and twisted the top of it until it came off but nothing was inside. 

"What's that?" Newt asked as he came around to me. I lifted it up and showed him. 

"Here," I took his hand and crumpled up the necklace, placing it in his palms. "This is my gift to you." I joked making him smile before he placed it in his pocket. 

"Why, thank you." He kissed my forehead before grabbing my hand and pulling me back to the group. 

-----

Once we were back I had found some clothes and started changing out of them. I carefully folded Newt's flannel and placed it at the top of my pack. I found some baggy pants that cuffed at the end. They were dark green and the fabric was soft. Out of all things, I found a black athletic corset that I put on over top of a white shirt. I threw on some socks and cherry red combat boots. Then I found a gun holster that situated on my thigh. 

I walked out to see if Newt and Frypan needed any help gathering stuff but the second I reached them a loud commotion started. 

Can we not catch a break?

Everyone, except Minho and Thomas who were high suspects on who started this whole damn thing, gathered around. 

"What's going on?" Winston asked as he joined us. 

"I don't know..." Frypan answered

Then in the distance, a person wailed, "HEY, HEY, RUN!" I could tell it was Thomas and Minho. I knew it. And they were running for their life. 

I squinted my eyes and saw more figures appear behind them. They sounded like something out of a nightmare as their screeches bounced off the walls in an eerie echo. 

"Ooh, shit," I said. Newt adjusted his backpack. Then we ran. We ran as fast as we could. I was a little worried for Newt's limp but if he fell, I'd go back for him. 

The things behind us ran funnier than Thomas did. We sprinted up the elevator, bombarding each other with questions we knew no one knew. 

We reached the hallway, now trapped before Aris raised his bat and slid easily knocking the monster off its feet. If these are the cranks Paige told us on that video screen... we were all screwed. 

I slammed my foot down on a piece of wood, cracking it in two and picking up the longer piece. I drew back the weapon and brought it down on top of a crank. For being scary as shit they sure do fall down easily. 

We re-group and ran up another flight of stairs that once were elevators. We made it to this long bridge looking thing. Newt and I were in the back. I refused to run ahead of Newt. No way in hell. 

Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw a crank fly through a wall, almost like magic, and tackle Newt to the ground.

"NO!" I cried as I skid to a stop and making a quick 180. I placed the heel of my foot against the back of the hideous creature and pushed as hard as I could. I was stronger than I thought as I watched it crumbled through the glass into the dark pit below. I scrambled to help Newt up asking him if he was ok. He was. Thank god. 

We made it to a door and Winston and I started shooting at the cranks as the rest of them tried to break open a locked door. It was our only hope. I didn't want to waste too many bullets. 

Hurry up
Hurry UP
HURRY UP

"GET THAT DOOR OPEN!" Winston and I cried at the same time. Then I heard the metallic cling of the door breaking the lock. I didn't hesitate to run, grabbing Winston's shirt and pulling him along. I made it through but then my hand slipped from his shirt and his wails were the only thing I could hear. I had failed yet another person. 

Minho pressed his body against the door we were trying to get through as the rest of us desperately pulled at Winston trying to save him. 

Once he was out, a hand flew to my mouth at the sight. His entire stomach was torn to shreds by whatever those things were... 

Then, like time had skipped, we had run so fast we were in a tiny little makeshift cave, the howls of the creatures in the distance. Then we slept.