Get Out

"My name is Dr. Ava Paige."

The maze was different than I pictured it. Vines swung from any point they could and ivy climbed the walls like snakes. Out footfalls were even reminding me of a military base. Thomas and Minho lead us all the way there. Poor Chuck looked like he could pass out. 

We reached a wall where everyone pressed their bodies against it. Newt took my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze before letting go again. But it was the look in his eyes that really put me on edge. His brown eyes said a million things, showed a million memories. 

If I don't make it out, I love you.

I remembered the fear the one night after the griever attack when I thought I lost him. I wasn't going to go through that again. If it's between him or me: Newt deserves to live. He always has. Between the fake smiles, not for his sake but the others, and the advice given to everyone when he's the one who needs it most. Newt deserves to live. 

Minho gave Chuck the fob thing. I don't really know what it is except that it lead us here. He told Chuck to stay behind which was smart. Chuck deserves to live to, considering he's so young and he's so close to being free. Teresa said she's stay behind with him.

"Once we're through it will activate," Thomas said as we leaned in to form a tight circle. "And the door will open. All right, we stay close, we stick together, we get through this. We get out now. Or we die trying." I almost believed him till that last part. "Ready?" No. Then we went. 

I flipped my knife in my hand as we all ran, screaming. Any sense of security ripped away from us as the griever turned to us and screeched. Looking at it made me want to hurl but I didn't. I stayed in the back, not because I was scared but because I had a plan. The boys ran with their spears and started trying to shove it off the edge.

No, you need to take out the legs.

I ran in the side of the group hearing screams like, what is she doing, Y/N STOP. I didn't stop. Wasn't going to.

I buckled my knees, collapsing to my side as I slid under the beast, slashing my knife against its metal claws. My blade wouldn't be able to cut through it but I could at least knock off its balance. Above I could hear screams from the gladers and the griever as I laid on my back and pressed my feet against its underbelly. I locked my knees quickly at an angle, throwing the beast hurtling off the edge. 

Hands pulled me up when I heard Chuck's voice screaming. We all turned to see Chuck and Teresa running from two more grievers. 

"Take out its legs!" I yelled to the boys as Chuck and Teresa ran past us. "It's unbalanced."

Minho gave me a strange look but didn't argue as the group clashed with the machines. They hit their poles against their legs letting a clanging sound ring throughout the space. Some pressed against them, pushing them over the edge. It was working. I smiled at my success.

It's hard work being their saving angel.

I looked back to see Teresa and Chuck struggling against some kind of door. 

"Thomas, there's a code! Eight numbers!" She yelled. He yelled something back but I couldn't hear over the clanking and screams of both human and machine. My ears were ringing and there wasn't much I could do. I didn't have a spear. I had a knife. And now it was too risky to dive under one because the other would pull me out. And that would be it. So I waited helplessly, my eyes surveying the scene to warn others. 

Then one dropped from the sky. Right onto Minho. He started screaming and fighting back and before my mind could think I rushed in after him, Jeff on my heels.