Welcome to the Glade

"Darkness filled me again."

Cold. Cold. Cold. Wires. Head...

I snapped awake from whatever I was just in. Sleep? Drugs? My head pounded, my lungs struggling to receive air. I gasped heavily trying to return oxygen to my body. Underneath me felt like tiny little holes, a crate maybe. A giant one. 

I caressed my head with my hand praying for the pain to go away. I was so focused on the pain I didn't notice that the crate was gaining speed, cutting through the thick darkness of the surrounding area. 

Bugs seemed to crawl around my body as anxiety rose, spiking the back of my neck. I wanted to scream, cry, anything for help but my entire body felt like it was off. Like I couldn't function. 

The squealing of the gears pierced my ears making my head hurt even more. My eardrums wanted to fall out at the sound. A red light began to flash.

I gripped a piece of my arm in between two fingers and squeezed hard, hoping to wake up from whatever nightmare I was in. I wanted to wake up so badly. I pinched myself harder and harder making me cry out. I couldn't see anything except the red light getting closer. Closer. Closer. Closer. 

Then everything stilled. The creaking stopped. The screams silenced. Everything was dark. The only thing I could hear was my heart pounding in my ears. Screaming for help. Suddenly, a blinding light cracked through the top of whatever I was in. The light got brighter making me flinch away. It hurt my eyes so I curled up in a ball, putting my head in my knees. Darkness filled me again.

"Go get him, Gally." Someone spoke and I wasn't expecting it. I freaked out, snapping my head up from where it rested. I placed my forearm above my head blocking out the rays of the glowing sun. I saw a pair of legs land in front of me making me scoot back further against the wired crate. 

"Hey, it's alright." The voice was deep and it fit the name 'Gally' I heard earlier. I lowered my arm slowly to be met with a boy around my age. He was tan and had eyebrows that could probably kill me. He had a hand held out to me but I didn't take it. 

I stood up on my own no matter how much it hurt. My back and head ached with every breath I took. 

"You alright there, Greenie?" The boy behind me asked. The word greenie was so odd, I knew it wasn't my name. Wait...

I searched my head for a name. My name. A memory? Everything was gone. Everything. My breathing picked up, heaving faster every second. 

Suddenly large outbursts sprouted around me. Questions filling the thin air. 

"Gally? That's a she-bean."
"DIBS!"
"YOU CAN'T CALL DIBS CLINT."
"Holy shit, that's a girl."

One voice above all others silenced the room. "Slim it!" He shouted. Everyone stopped talking letting their words fade into whatever was above me. 

"Let's get you out of here." The boy said leading me over to where a boy had just let down a robe. He helped me start climbing, my legs gluing to the walls as I walked up the metal sheets. 

A hand from the top of the box came down letting me grab it, pulling me up. I landed on something soft. My hands felt around as I crawled to stand up noticing it was grass. I looked around but all I could see were guys crowding around me. 

"It's been one crazy day." A boy said somewhere in the crowd.

"Yeah. First Newt, now this." Scrambled words and letters filled the group, scaring me a little but I didn't let that show. I kept my figure stiff, not moving, glaring down anyone that looked at me the slightest bit strange. 

"Give the greenie some space." The same voice from before spoke up making people go quiet once again. From the looks of things, he must've been the leader. A tall dark-skinned boy a bit older than me pushed past the people, heading towards me. My fists clenched together scared about what was about to happen.

He kept walking towards me and as soon as he was close enough, I picked up my arm and connected my fist with his jaw, snapping his head to the side. 

The crowd 'ooo' ed and backed away from me, their hands raised. The one I punched recovered quickly, the slightest bit of blood coming out of his nose. "I'm going to let that one slide, for now. But you need to know the rules greenie." 

"My names not greenie." I snapped. The words came out distorted as I hadn't spoken in I don't know how long. He let out a small laugh. 

"It will be until you remember yours." I don't know how he knew I didn't know my name. It was strange. He shooed away the other boys, around fifty, away. They all went opposite directions, carrying on conversations on their own. I took this as an opportunity to look around the place for the first time. 

Four giant walls towered above all else, its shadow blanketing the entire, what looked like, a farm. 

"Welcome to the glade, greenie." The guy said holding out his hand for me to shake. "I'm Alby."