36 : Surprise Guest

Stefan's POV :

Is it possible to be confused about the feelings you've never even felt? Well, I guess that's the confusing part so maybe it's normal.

Kissing Emery wasn't anything I had imagined kissing to be like. I had never kissed anyone before because sue me for being a romantic old school, soulmate believer kind of guy. But now that I had tasted kissing and tasted Emery, I don't know if it's physically possible to stay away from either things.

Sounds a little dramatic, sure, but for a moment there, I felt intoxicated; by her scent, her taste, her fucking strawberry lipgloss, herself as a whole. When our friends came out looking for us, some of the dizzy fog left my brain and by the time it was decided that we'd head over to Burger King for food and then home instead of the after party, I was completely back to my senses.

Thinking too much about it - the kiss - had left me beyond tired. It didn't help watching her flirt with my best friend during the drive to the fast food joint. It was as if the universe was out there to get me because everyone driving on the street tonight seemed drunk, causing me to slam breaks and grip the steering wheel tighter to get hold of driving and not cause an accident. I was angry and frustrated and Drew hitting on the girl sitting beside me didn't help either.

I ignored Emery for the whole drive there and also for whatever time we spent eating and goofing around. My mood was a little better while joking with my friends but I didn't have the energy to face the consequences of my actions.

Everyone knows how Emery and I have despised each other our whole lives. Our siblings weren't as head butted into it as us but between the two of us, life has always been a competition to see who lives it better. Be it studies or sports, we're always challenging each other. Truth be told, I gave up on basketball and joined the track team because she teased me that I couldn't outrun her. She was right, she was fast but a few months onto the team, we were playing for the title of fastest runner on the same level.

She made me ditch Home Economics which would have been an easy grade, to join art. She challenged me to up my grades and get into AP English and AP History with her.

Wait, what the fuck? Why am I just realizing that she probably always has been better at certain things than me? I remember when she first made sandwiches for Colt and me when we were working on that physics project, I went home and asked Stella to teach me how to make sandwiches because mom was on call with the hospital. Have I always been this crazy?

I shake my head and blow a breath as I turn to the street where our houses were. It didn't matter. We were the so called enemies, Emery and I. She despised me and I reciprocated her feelings. I think? I huff out another breath. I don't know anymore. Kissing her tonight had been a mistake, not because I shouldn't have done it because Heaven knows how much I've wanted to do that. It was a mistake because now she's stuck in my head and I can't think straight. 

I know she regrets what happened. She loves her grandpa and her gradnpa hates or family. My grandma is no less but Grandpa James has always been the one who seemed more pissed off at us than anyone else. Grandma sometimes even looked guilty but help her stance high whenever they got into their verbal fights. Our parents are competative too, but not to the point to strangle each other at sight, like how our grandparents are. Like how Emery and I used to be, just a couple months ago.

Something changed at the start of this year and Emery and I have our dynamics with each other changed. But it doesn't matter. What I feel doesn't matter. Emry won't ever go behind her grandpa like that, I'm aware how much they both adore each other. My grandma and I might not be that close and I might even think of taking a chance at this but I now Emery won't. The Clara James I know, won't.