22 : Twinning

CLARA

I'm saved from the mortification of facing Stefan after my sudden and ridiculous drift in my thoughts. Surely Stefan wasn't walking me to the class, was he? Nope, that's downright impossible. Why would he, even? I'm sure he has a new prank up his sleeve and if he embarrasses me even more, he can forget about living anymore.

But then, those notes and flowers seem to contradict my negativity towards him. 

He could be distracting you, you know.

Oh, well thanks Miss Inner-Me. I never thought of that at all.

I sigh and shake my head and look behind me to glance at Hannah. She's talking to Sutter, a cute nerd in our class who we both had a crush on, freshman year. That is, until he told us he was gay. He isn't out yet, if you're wondering, but my best friend and I were crazy and drunk on something (lemonade, most probably) and so we confessed our love to him and asked him to chose the better one of us. He blushed and shyly informed us about his preference and requested us to keep it a secret. In turn, we asked him his permission to openly flirt with him to make our next crushes jealous. It worked out for him as well seeing he didn't want to be out and bullied before college so he agreed.

I shake my head when Hannah winks at me and subtly nods towards Ethan Rush, Stefan's best friend and I realize that she's annoying him, if his angry fist and green face is anything to go by. I just hope he doesn't kill poor Sutter.

I shake my head when Stefan enters my head again because of his best friend's presence. I pull out my books for the torturous hour of AP Calc. I don't even know the need of this subject, except those bizzarely genius scientists of course. And my brother Colton. 

I mentally curse Aryabhatta and Archimedes, whoever is guilty of inventing PI. I mean, what's the need, man? You just made a big deal out of nothing and upcoming generations are suffering to this day. I just hope my kids won't have to go through this torture. And if not the,, then surely not my grandkids.

Oh god, why am I even thinking about kids and grandkids. I'm seventeen, for fuck's sake!

I let out a curse and pay attention to Mr. I-hate-my-job-but-it-pays-well aka Mr. Moelester, the head teacher of Calculus department as well our our teacher for this awful subject (sheer unluck, I swear.)

I let my stupid, unexplainable thoughts go in the drain as I focus on the new theory he's explaining and copy down the sum on the board to try and solve it. At least I can pretend.

I don't know why but my hand reaches under my desk and I let out a gasp when my fingers touch something soft and flower petals come to my mind immediately. Mr. Moelester as well as some of the class looks up at me and I frown and pretend that the gasp was because of me being an idiot in the subject.

"Any problem, Miss James?" The Devil of a teacher asks.

I give him a pathetic smile. "No sir, I just used the wrong formula."

He gives me a flat look that says I'm-surprised-you-even-know-what-formulas-are and I roll my eyes. I get a good B- in this subject, I'm not a total tool, okay?

I glance back at Hannah who is sitting in the last seat with Ethan sitting on one side of her in my row and Sutter in the next one in the third row. Her body is leaning towards the poor guy more and he's blushing like crazy though he's full aware of my friend's intentions. Ethan, on the other hand, has his fists clenched and he's looking straight ahead at our not-so-good-looking teacher.