11 : Didn't Know Carl Could Be Romantic

"When did you get back last night, Clara?" Josie asks me as I descend the stairs.

I look up at her making breakfast - pancakes, precisely - and just about realize the whole fiasco we had created last night. Seriously, couldn't these idiots have checked the house for me before lying? But then again, me in Stefan's room was a close to impossible thought in anybody's mind.

"I, uh, I..." I stutter, cursing myself at not coming up with an immediate lie on the spot. Where did Casey get her talent from, though?

"She came back around one o'clock last night, Jo." Stefan casually states as he passes past me towards the dining table where others were already seated.

"And you let her in?" Josie cocks an eyebrow.

Stefan looks up at her and shrugs while seating himself. "Couldn't sleep last night so I was taking a walk in the front yard."

Josie nods, still looking at both of us skeptically and I breath a sigh of relief. Maybe making snacks for these Kings' kids yesterday was not so bad idea after all. "Oh, well. Come on then. Eat up and get on with your day." She says as she slides two stacks of pancakes on the table. All of us dig in, our lie long forgotten.

After breakfast, I race to my room and get ready for school as quickly as I can. After a good ten minute shower and donning on a high waist skinny jeans and a moss green off shoulder blouse, I tie my hair up in a pony tail and skip downstairs thirty minutes later to see no one else was ready yet. No one but Stefan.

I pause and slow my steps as I enter the main hallways  and walk towards the shoe rack. I take out my Chuck Taylor high top converse and sit on the lowest step to wear them. I look up slowly at the devil to find him busy scrolling through his phone. 

"Uh.. thanks. For covering up for me in the morning." I say slowly, desperately hoping that he doesn't hear.

He raises an eyebrow looking at me. "Can you repeat that once more so I can record it?" He asks making me scowl.

I shake my head to get rid of murderous thoughts. "Forget it." I mutter and look down towards my feet, concentrating on tying the shoe laces.

I hear him chuckle and then he sits beside me, his sneakers half way through his leg. "Take that as a return of favor for making my siblings hot chocolate yesterday." He says while tying his own shoe laces.

I nod. Good idea. We shouldn't owe anything to each other anyway. Enemies are ought to remain enemies. Before I could remind him about the sandwiches though, I hear voices coming out and look up to see Carl, Colton, Stella and Samantha walking down the stairs. Casey and Seth enter the main hallway from the left door too, followed by Josie.

They all look at me and Stefan weirdly but when they notice us tying our laces, the have that 'oh' expressions on their faces. 

"Everyone ready?" Carl asks, filling the silence while twirling the car keys around his index finger. 

I stand myself up and nod. "Ready." My answer is followed by a few more murmurs before Josie speaks.

"Okay, guys. I might me late tonight. Extra work so order take out - the menu's on the fridge and the money's in the Jar above it. Oh, and while I'm out, I trust Colton and Stella to maintain peace and save my house. I'd say Carl but we all know he's younger than Seth and Casey when it comes to responsibilities." 

Stefan snickers beside me and Carl glares at him. He then presses his lips in a tight smile and addresses Josie. "Thanks Jo but I have a date tonight and I'd be out for the night too, possibly."