16 : Brownies and Vanilla Ice-Cream

CLARA

As Josie and I started with a dinner of chicken and rice, we decided to blast some music and dance along to it too. Sometime during our ungraceful dance concert, Stella and Samantha joined us too. Strangely, I got alone fine with each other. We didn't like each other but we didn't fight with each other at every opportunity either. But with Samantha, it was a whole lot of awkward.

For example, every time our arms or hips would brush while our 'dance' moves, we'd both awkwardly distance each other and Josie and Stella would have to drag us again to involve us.

When I excused myself to go and check on the brownies I decided to make for dessert, I also checked my phone to see if Casey had texted me back. I frowned. It was almost eight o'clock and she wasn't back, nor had she texted me.

 I was about to give her another call when the front door opened. Curious to see if it was Casey or someone else, I walked out of the kitchen, leaving the three girls to their work.

The first person to enter was Seth, his cheeks flushed and red. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was embarrassed of something. His eyes met mine for a brief second and his cheeks turned a shade darker as he rushed past me towards his room.

I frowned even further and looked back towards the door my jaw dropped. What I saw was Casey and Satan entering the house almost seconds after each other. I narrowed my eyes at my sister.

"Casey!" I rushed towards her. "What are you doing with him?" I spat the last word. He glared at me.

Casey let out a nervous chuckle and rolled her eyes. She looked back at him and they shared a brief eye contact before Stefan rolled his eyes and left us alone, going into the sitting room. "Relax, Clara. I was walking home when he saw me and offered to give me a ride."

"I brought ice-cream." I heard him shout and then heard Josie squeal.

"Vanilla! My favorite, thanks Stefan."

"You could have called Carl." I pointed, ignoring the conversation going on in the kitchen.

She sighed. "I didn't want to call anyone. I was fine walking back but he just found me while he was picking up Seth. It's no big deal."

Before I could argue, she was already making her way towards her room. "Fine but wash up and get back here for dinner soon." I managed to shout at her retreating figure.

Fifteen minutes later, Carl, Colton, Casey and I were sitting on one side of the table while while Stella, Stefan, Samantha and Seth sat across us with Josie at the head of the table. Casey and Seth kept fidgeting in their seats, barely eating while Stella and Josie talked about Kendall Jenner's latest Instagram upload. Colton was busy enjoying his food and Samantha kept texting someone under the table. 

Stefan and I? Well, we were doing what we do best - glaring at each other.

Carl, oblivious to the tension at the table, decided to pick up a conversation. "So Jos, you said you'd be late from work today. What happened?"

Josie nodded. "Yeah but the clients I had to deal with scheduled for next week. I was free so I got back early. What about you, didn't you say you'd stay out late too? For your girlfriend's birthday or something."

Carl sighed. "That was the plan but her grandparents were visiting and she wanted to have dinner with them."

Josie chuckled. "Don't worry, Romeo. You'll have her for your whole life, probably."